1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Brown video shows Tomlin's disdain for the Patriots'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 16, 2017.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That isn't the ass Tomlin was speaking about.

I just saw the video. It makes Brown look like even more of an an ass than I realized, especially with Tomlin and Roethlisberger talking about keeping a low profile and being careful on social media. Cue the completely fair comments about Roethlisberger's past behavior, but Brown could at least try to pay attention.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  2. outofplace

Tomlin opens by addressing AB's video 

Tomlin opened his pres conference today talking about the video. He actually apologized for the profanity, while making the point that it is one reason they keep certain moments private. He also called Brown's actions foolish, selfish and inconsiderate. He said there will be some form of discipline, but he won't "punish us," which I take to mean that Brown won't be benched for a series or anything like that. He also said he doesn't think the incident is at all relevant to the AFC Championship.

I thought it was interesting that he said he didn't want Brown to become a great player who goes from team to team. It sure sounds like a subtle threat in that comment.

The full response if y'all care to read and don't want to bother with the link.

LANGUAGE
    “First, the content of the video. I’d like to say that the language on the video is regrettable. The language by me, the by others. It’s regrettable because this thing that is the National Football League, this platform that we have, is a precious and awesome thing. Not something we take very lightly. The responsibility associated with being in this thing, just from a role model standpoint, is something that I personally embrace, it’s something that we as a team and organization embrace. That’s why the language, specifically with regard to the content, is regrettable. That’s why we go to great lengths to preserve certain moments and certain interactions between us, because we’re very sensitive to the opportunity that we have as role models. So I apologize for the content of the video from that perspective. As a parent, as a member of a community, I take that very seriously, and so I sincerely issue an apology in that regard.”

IMPACT OF THE VIDEO ON THE UPCOMING GAME
    “In regard to the content of the video relative to its impact on this game, or as a distraction to our preparation, or to New England’s motivation and so forth, I have absolutely no worries regarding that. We’re in the AFC Championship Game. You’re not going to creep in the back door in New England and win a football game and creep out of there with an AFC Championship. I’m not worried about our team’s ability to deal with the potential distractions. We have prepared for distractions as much as we have prepared for this opportunity. We realize there are four tams working this week, and there are 28 watching. We realize that there are the same amount of television shows and radio shows that there normally are. So there’s a certain intensity with being in this tournament. They have to fill that air-time with something, so we’re not concerned about that. That has no consequence for us and our preparation and ultimately our play. We’re just going to be a team that goes up there ready to play and play winning football, as we expect them to be. So from that perspective, I have very little concern about the content of the video.”

ANTONIO BROWN’S ACTIONS

“The last element of the discussion is Antonio himself. I’ll be bluntly honest here: It was foolish of him to do that; it was selfish of him to do that; and it was inconsiderate for him to do that. Not only is it a violation of our policy, it’s a violation of league policy, both of which he knows. There are consequences to be dealt with from his perspective. We’ll punish him, but we won’t punish us. And we’ll do so swiftly, and we’ll do so internally. And I’ll imagine there are consequences associated with the National Football League’s policy in that regard. I’m sure he’ll appropriately absorb all of those things as he moves forward. But larger than that, he’s got to grow from this. He has to. He works extremely hard, he’s extremely talented, and those things get minimized from incidents such as this. You wear on your teammates when they have to routinely answer questions about things that aren’t preparation-for-football-related. It’s our desire for him and for everyone to be great teammates as well as great players. He’s a great player, a hard-working player, and he’s respected largely in the locker room for those things, but incidents such as this don’t help him that regard, and that’s just the reality of it. In a nutshell, that’s going to be the gist of the conversation we have.

“And the reality is, those things don’t apply exclusively to Antonio. It’s a global thing in regard to professional sport, and I think that often why you see great players move around from team to team. I definitely don’t want that to be his story, and I’m sure he doesn’t want that to be his story, and so he has to address these things that put him and us in positions from time to time in setting such as this where it needs to be addressed. Other than that, I haven’t wasted a lot of time on it, to be honest with you. I haven’t visited with him because on Mondays and Tuesdays I prepare for games. I’m going to see him at some point, and when I do, I will address it.”

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Christ, the NFL really finds non-stories during the downtime between games. Brown, dumb. Steelers, fine. Pats, assholes. Move along.

JC and Dick Whitman like this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"I haven't wasted a lot of time on it" ... except for the hours spent preparing a three-part doctoral dissertation.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Belichick's a Tinder guy.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Not TwitSpace?

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Belichick knows exactly what all social media sites are called.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Antonio Brown has always been a me-first guy and that'll never change, but even this is beyond stupid. I'll be interested to see what kind of punishment Tomlin has in mind.

9. Dick Whitman

Nothing. It's not a high school team.

10. outofplace

I'm sure it will be something, but not anything of significance. I don't see why Tomlin would bother to lie.

11. Dick Whitman

It would be the first time a football coach ever lied to the public. Usually they are extremely forthcoming.

12. outofplace

Now go back and actually read what I wrote. I didn't say he wouldn't lie. I said I don't know why he would bother in this case. He didn't have to bring up the topic of punishment at all. I have no doubt whatever punishment he chooses will be anything of consequence. Maybe take away his cell phone for a few days. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted