1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Randy Edsall=douchebag

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Chase, Feb 19, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Rough business, but Edsall isn't obligated to continue Diaco's mistake. The kid isn't a DI player.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It sucks for the kid, but unless he already signed, the school isn't under any obligation. Players renege on verbal commitments too.

College sports is big business.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If Edsall told the kid in early January that he was going to keep his scholarship - which part of me doubts, but whatever - than, yeah, he is kind of obligated by his word. Which clearly doesn't mean much.

Not that college coaches are bastions of integrity. Most of them aren't.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound like it. Sometimes, though, they get it wrong. If I recall correctly, one of Danny Ford's assistants at Clemson damn-near got fired for offering some kid they didn't think was D1 material. The kid, Terry Allen, went on to set all sorts of rushing records there and then played 11 years in the NFL.

5. LongTimeListener

No question. J.J. Watt, Wisconsin homeboy, had to go to Central Michigan before transferring to UW.

But if UConn is your only DI offer, you aren't a DI player right now.

BurnsWhenIPee and cranberry like this.
  6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

For Dickens and his family, the hardest thing to believe in the aftermath of Edsall’s decision was how cool and calculated the UConn coach sounded on the phone. For a grown man to crush the dreams of a well-meaning teenager in one fell swoop, without a second thought, that’s hard to swallow.

Reporter might have got a little too close to his story, ya think?

EDIT: Oh, wait, it's a BLOG!!!!!! Carry on.

Batman likes this.
  7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Agreed.

8. LongTimeListener

This does remind me too of how uneducated parents can be on the process. I knew a family years back that thought their son was getting a scholarship to the local school, but in reality he was only a preferred walk-on. He did earn a scholarship a few years later, which really eased the financial crunch on the family. See, when they thought he was getting the full ride out of high school, Mom spent the extra savings on a boob job.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Put it this way: If URI gets a kid who had one FBS scholarship offer, it upgrades my state school's talent level. (URI, even when they last had contending teams in the '80s, has always recruited heavily in Jersey.)
    According to another story I'd seen, Northwestern, Temple and another FBS school I forget recruited him, but backed off after he verballed to UConn. By the time he was kicked loose, those schools had gotten other verbal commits. He probably should've done a little snooping the day Diaco got canned in anticipation that Edsall might stiff him. If the school doesn't have to live by a commit's word, why should he live by the school's?

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Because he wanted to go there. Plus, according to him, he was told by Edsall 2 weeks ago that he had a scholarship. (Maybe that's not the entire truth.)

Here's the annoying thing: they probably don't have some stud taking his place. It's probably some kid who's marginally better who's "connected" to the assistant coach who coaches the position. That's usually how this stuff works.

One other thing: don't presume Kid A from NJ has offers all over the place. All these schools now have assistants who recruit the south and want to maintain their connections down there because...that's where their next job will be.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Uh ... pics or GTFO?

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

When will we get the story about the star coach who had his hopes and dreams crushed by the 5-star recruit who smiled and laughed as he picked another school's hat on national television just three weeks before signing day?

Draft saved Draft deleted