1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eli Manning: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

There are still a dozen 1970s-era Pittsburgh Steelers who have to be inducted.
    Plus some of their back-ups.
    And the tax-squad guys.

We can't rest until every 1970s-era Pittsburgh Steeler is in HoF.

cranberry likes this.
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

As noted by cyclingwriter2, a 14-team league in 1961 yielded six eventual HOF quarterbacks.

You think we should stick with a max of six in a 32-team league?

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

also on Gore, assume he plays next season he is just 630 yards from moving to 5th all-time.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Said nobody on this board. I guess you could argue for Greenwood, but I think the guys who should be in from that team are already there.

5. Della9250

I could see Rivers getting the Fouts treatment and get inducted. I could also see him being the line voters see as just on the other side of induction if guys behind him end up passing him in career numbers/accomplishments.

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Those guys handled their money well, too.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah - That would be my thought as well, like if he retired today. I personally think Rivers is a better QB than Eli Manning was, but Manning's narrative - two Super Bowl wins, over the Patriots - is a pretty tasty one to elect. Plus, it's not like Manning was a scrub in the non-SB years; he was still an average to above-average QB. I doubt he would be the worst QB enshrined, although he's probably below the position's mean, to steal some terminology from Jay Jaffe's baseball HOF stuff. I think the more "winners win!" HOF case would be if Flacco somehow managed his way to another title.

8. LongTimeListener

I was going to bring up Flacco's name earlier, but then I looked and saw that he still hasn't had a 4,000-yard season and has 117 interceptions in nine years.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Once they let that punter into the Hall of Fame, it was only a matter of time before the human resources department started demanding they get their due.

10. Della9250

Eli's title, regardless of who they are over, are going to trump anyone who never even gets to a Super Bowl.

Like or not, Matt Ryan's HOF chances leapfrog Rivers' significantly if he just gets to the Super Bowl. They go up again if he somehow wins MVP.

Flacco has to win another another title to even have a shot at the HOF. His numbers are terrible for an era where there are a lot of big number QBs. He's never made even made the Pro Bowl once.

11. Della9250

2016 was his first 4,000-yard season -- 4,317. But he's thrown more than 25 TDs in a season once -- 27 -- and his completion percentage has never been over 65 for a season.

12. LongTimeListener

Ah. OK I didn't read down far enough. But yeah before I looked anything up, I thought he would fare a lot better in his era.

Draft saved Draft deleted