1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL 2016-17 playoffs running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 2, 2017.

1. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

He probably keeps a box of Pecan Sandies in his locker.

Chef2 likes this.
  2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not the first time he's done that, either.
    In 2006, when he was with the Eagles, they were trailing the Saints 27-24 at the two-minute warning in a divisional round game. They had two timeouts, and a fourth-and-10 at their own 44.
    He punted.
    Down three points, near midfield, with two minutes left in a playoff game and he freaking punted.
    The Saints converted a third-and-1 and ran out the clock.
    Ten years later, he's still doing the same stuff. A walrus never changes its spots.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I guess I don't understand his insistence on burning down the clock on these long drives when his team is trailing.

Yes, you need the score. It you need to lengthen the game.

If KC is good with 9-7 or 10-6 most years and booking tee times for their players at the pro bowl, sign Reid and Smith for long term.

4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Fun facts heading into the AFC Championship game this weekend: The AFC champion has been quarterbacked by either Manning, Brady or Roethlisberger 13 of the past 15 seasons. Will be 14 of 16 after this weekend. Every AFC championship game since 2003 has at least one of them play in it.

Batman likes this.
  5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I bet I'm going to have a better opinion of Joe Flacco 25 years from now. I'd almost have to.

sgreenwell likes this.
  7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Maybe they could have gone to more of a hurry-up offense, but it also took a while because the Steelers weren't making it easy on them. Kansas City had to convert two fourth downs on that drive.

Yes, Reid counted on his team getting a stop, but this was not the same thing as punting against the Saints in 2006, simply because there was a lot more time remaining. I believe there was 3:29 on the clock. Remember, the Chiefs had adjusted and done a good job stopping the run in the fourth quarter. They forced the Steelers to throw from their own five to try to convert and Roethlisberger had been shaky much of the night. I probably would have gone for the on-side kick, too, but I don't think it was a horrible decision to kick it deep.

8. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

They are working on Reid's carvings for great regular season coaches who became snake bit once the playoffs hit. Chuck Knox and Marty Schottenheimer already are on the Mt. Rushmore of this elite group.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

George Allen is another.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It was 2:38 left and they had one timeout last night. So at best they were looking at getting the ball back with about a minute left with a plodding, struggling offense.
    If it were 3:29 left, it's more of a coin flip since you might be able to give up a first down and still get the ball back. With 2:38 to go, you need to onside kick. The Steelers are playing for a first down, not points, so field position isn't a big deal. By onside kicking you at least give yourself an extra chance. If the Steelers recover, you're still in the same situation of needing to stop them.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

NFC champ will be home team in Super Bowl, and they'd be smart to wear white. White jerseys are 32-18 in Super Bowls and have won 11 of the past 12.

Count on Packers or Falcons wearing darks, getting their butts beat by New England, and then whites go to 33-18 and 12 of 13.

They posted a stat about how you have a 10 percent chance of getting an onside kick. I think K.C.'s chances of holding Pittsburgh without a first down were higher than 10 percent. And then all they would have needed was one first down to get in FG range. Just doesn't seem like all that of a horrible decision to me.

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

As clock management fail goes, this wouldn't even be in Reid's top five.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted