1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Brown video shows Tomlin's disdain for the Patriots'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's the ESPN front-page headline.

Problem is, the story indicates nothing of the sort.

And we wonder why athletes and coaches distrust the media.

Brown video shows Tomlin's disdain for Patriots

YankeeFan likes this.
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He did call them assholes.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

THEY GAVE ME A JAYWALKING TICKET IN FOXBOROUGH!

Batman likes this.
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Was just about to point out what LTL posted, that Tomlin did call the Patriots assholes, though disdain isn't really the correct word there.

Brown really is kind of a jackass. He is a fantastic player known for an incredible work ethic to go with his talent, but he couldn't put the phone down and listen to his coach for a few minutes? That type of lack of discipline is the biggest difference between the Patriots and the Steelers (and just about every other team.)

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Two thoughts:

You can safely assume that everyone has disdain for the Patriots, can't you?

That headline is not what's on the story. It's what appears on the list of stories on the left. I assume some editor put an accurate, yet boring, headline on the story itself, and some web editor said, "Who's going to click on that?" And after asking someone what the story/video is about, concocted a headline for the front page and social media that would draw traffic and may have something to do with the story package.

6. outofplace

Former Steeler Ryan Clark said Brown was self-absorbed and clueless about the potential damage he could do with such a video. He broadcast a side of Tomlin that the coach chooses not to let the public see.

Of course, there will be no consequences. The Steelers are going to give Brown a huge contract this offseason. He is going to get the big-money extension while Bell gets the franchise tag.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This is such a non story. I'm sure the Pats being called assholes is what's going to really motivate them for a chance to win another championship.

YankeeFan likes this.
  8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm more amused by the "no social media" message being posted to FB Live.

HanSenSE and YankeeFan like this.
  9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Asshole is the nicest thing Belichick's been called in years.

10. outofplace

I agree that the specific incident won't change the result of the AFC Championship game. Maybe Brady will use it in his trash talk during or after the game if the Patriots win, but that's about it.

It is a sign of a lack of discipline, which is usually the difference when the Steelers play the Patriots.The Patriots play smarter.

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

He's the second-best player in the NFL. He deserves that extension.

12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I kinda took what Tomlin said almost colloquially. Like, if a pair of co-workers are getting a free lunch or something, I might say something like "Here I am eating this ham sandwich while those assholes eat like kings." I'm not REALLY calling them assholes. I'm just talking shit.

That's why I think ESPN's headline is bullshit, unless there is an opinion story underneath it somewhere making that claim.

For comparison's sake, here is SI.com's headline for the same story:

Mike Tomlin filmed referring to Patriots as ‘a--holes’ by Antonio Brown on Facebook Live

Draft saved Draft deleted