1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is just beyond awesome.

By the way. ... James Clapper and the NSA are a much bigger threat to American democracy than Vladimir Putin will ever be.

Just sayin'. When do we get those hearings?

da man likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Donald not keep a promise to the media? Unpossible.

3. HanSenSE

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Pretend for a moment you're a Republican politician in Congress in, say, 2013. You believe the ACA is terrible policy. You'd like to see it done away with. You have some fairly detailed ideas about what you'd like to replace it with.

But you're no dummy. You recognize that a non-trivial portion of the winnable electorate is in the "cool to it" to "lukewarm about it" range. And unless the change is to rename it "CheGuevaraServe," President Obama's going to veto anything having to do with the ACA. So why bother?

Any detailed attempt to propose a replacement would have been a fool's errand. It was gonna get vetoed, and all you'd have done is give your future opposition ammunition to come at you. And that's the best-case scenario.

5. Z3lda

Z3lda New Member

6. HanSenSE

So it's like everything else Trump has proposed, big on bluster, short on details?

Ace likes this.
  7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And other countries have already been doing that to the U.S. since forever, regardless of who's in power.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Re: the Chicago video, I guess I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be outraged about in a way that would drive discussion here or anywhere else halfway intelligent people gather. Shitheads did a shitty thing. They have subsequently been charge with doing said shitty thing. Is there systemic support for torturing special needs people that I'm unaware of? This seems like mostly voyeurism to me.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yes, the same thing that McCain said in 2008. Tax credits.

Of course, there's nothing to prevent insurance companies won't just take the tax credits into account and jack up the premiums even more.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Seriously ... RT (Russia Today). Russia Fucking Today ... I bet countless dozens are watching it on the 19 cable systems it's on (per its website). But if you're in certain of the finer hotels, you're in luck! Something about the Tropicana there on the Strip in Vegas always did make me suspicious. And all of those revolutionaries at the Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek* in Dallas? We better keep an eye on them.

*They've got their base rooms available tonight for the low, low price of $420! To the Russian is good deal!

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Wait. I have to pretend I'm no dummy?

I still think you could say you have been working out the details and bits and pieces but don't want to unveil them until the time is ripe for a new plan.

Hell, most of the GOPers certainly don't act like they have any kind of plan in their back pocket or that they know someone who does.

Neutral Corner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.