1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christmas parties and bonuses

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Dec 20, 2016.

1. bevo

bevo Member

Christmas meal and a "year-end bonus" that doesn't come until March. It will be more than my combined bonuses from 19 years in the newspaper business, which I'm not in anymore.

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Got a 300 (after tax) bonus this week. And a free meal on Sunday. Along with that, time and a half for a 24 hour period.

Far better than anywhere else I've worked.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  3. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Our off-site Christmas party was postponed until "sometime in January." Doesn't matter anyway since they're always held on nights when the sports department has a full schedule of games to cover.
    I have a small staff so I gave our full-timers $50 gift cards, and our part-timer (who works full-time in the news dept) a $25 card. Good thing I have a small staff where I can afford to do that.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

No, please tell us. Let's see how life on the outside is this year.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

OK, if you insist.

The CEO held a Christmas party at his (very nice) house a week or so ago -- beer, wine, booze and a huge spread catered in from a fairly upscale Tex-Mex place (hey, we ARE in Texas, you know). He had a couple of contests in which he gave a giant jar of candy and a bottle of wine to the winners. We had a gift exchange, and after that the CEO gave everyone $50 in what he calls "go give money." We're supposed to use it for random acts of kindness -- giving to charity or to someone in need or to pay for the next person at the drive-through or whatever -- though he said to feel free to keep it if you have a need yourself.

Oh, and I got a $2,000 end-of-year bonus.

murphyc likes this.
  6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Also no longer in the business. And you guys really don't want to know. (A lot of it went directly to paying down debt, if it makes you feel any better)

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Our bonuses are tied to 2016 budget performance, so we don't get our bonuses (if applicable) until March of the following year. Mine was considerable in 2016, factoring in that I only had been with the company for four months.

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Sure we do. At least that way, I'll know what I'm missing.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Five figures.

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Now that's living the good life.

11. Old Time Hockey

Old Time Hockey Active Member

Hey, I got five figures, too. It's just that two of them were after the decimal point.

12. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

My uncle got a $1,500 bonus at a place he's worked at less than a year. Must be nice!

Draft saved Draft deleted