1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016-17 NHL season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 10, 2016.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Yeah, that makes more sense.
    But, especially in the first video, it looks like the ref had already motioned off the other players. Then, it also looks like the ref and Cramarossa are both motioning toward that closest linesman to stay away. Hayward was probably just trying to be dramatic when he noted that Cramarossa motioned the lineman away.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

So the Metro Division seems to be a real meat grinder right now ... Even New Jersey is undefeated at home and Carolina is starting to show some pluck. And the Isles seem to want to save Capuano's job for whatever reason.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The ref has nothing to do with fights, it's always linesman judgement.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The three times I saw Carolina this season, they were really impressive. Not the most talented offensive hockey team you will ever see, but they were built on a young, very good defense. ... and they never stop playing. If they fall behind, they keep coming at you hard. The Rangers faced them twice during that period when they were blowing the doors off teams, and once after that, and Carolina was very effective at turning it into a neutral zone slog. Their defense was excellent. Carolina wrote the script for how to play the Rangers early in the season, and NY has seen the same look from lots of other teams since. I know other teams would have adjusted regardless, but Carolina had it figured out right off the bat and they play in a very disciplined way. Their formula seems to be to play great defense, keep the game close and try to pull out wins in 1 goal games. They have been winning a lot of them lately.

5. ChrisLong

I saw the Ducks score three goals against the defense-oriented 'Canes in the third period to tie and win in shootout on Wednesday. However, I also saw the defense-oriented Ducks give up 8 to the Flames a week ago. Crazy game.

6. The Big Ragu

Henrik Lundqvist will be a healthy backup for the third straight game tonight. This happened in 2013 with Cam Talbot, when Talbot looked good and Hank was struggling a bit, so it is not entirely unprecedented. I get going with the hot hand, and Raanta is playing great, and it gives a good chance to rest Lundqvist to keep him fresher later in the season. In the preseason, Vigneault talked cutting down his workload this year. I'd just tread lightly if I was Vigneault. Lundqvist has been the best thing that team has had going the last decade, and they are going to need him at some point.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The Capitals are in fifth place in the Metropolitan Division.

They would have the second-best record in the Western Conference. So there's that.

8. The Big Ragu

I was looking at that this morning. It is reasonably tight from 1 to 8 and the remaining teams are only a few games from being in. It's going to make for good games late in the season if this keeps up.

Philadelphia has been on a tear lately. I am so bad at doing a good evaluation of that team, because I can't stand them. I can't imagine them keeping it up at this level with that roster, but I never give that team its due. I just hate them. Wayne Simmonds annoys me as much as any player in the NHL

9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

The Red Wings are just terrible. Got housed by the remnants of the Tampa Bay Lightning tonight and just aren't going anywhere. Worst part is I don't even know who to be mad at.

Blashill is a mediocre coach, but the talent level is crap. He's giving minutes to numbskulls like Steve Ott and Luke Glendening, but even if he weren't this team wouldn't have enough talent to accomplish anything.

Their last good free agent signing was Brian Rafalski in 2007. Now, they throw money at the Mike Greens and Frans Nielsens of the world mostly because their agents still return Ken Holland's phone calls. I'd bitch about Holland, but they haven't had a top-10 draft pick since 1991.

Of the 20 guys they dressed tonight, only four of them (Nielsen, Vanek, Miller, Ott) were not drafted or signed by Holland. All but one of their draft classes from 2002-2014 has produced at least one player who is either in that lineup or would be if he was healthy, including longshots like Ericsson (9th round, 2002), Mrazek (5th round, 2010).

And yet, they're just not good. And it's a little bit infuriating.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

There's a very legitimate case to be made that the Columbus Blue Jackets are the NHL's best team right now.

11. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

12. ChrisLong

I will read this later, but on the NHL channel on Sirius today, they gave it tremendous hype. Dave Tippett also lauded it.

Draft saved Draft deleted