1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP lays off 25

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Dec 10, 2016.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

Tom Coyne, who was based in South Bend and covered Notre Dame, was among the layoffs

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

When AP makes cuts, you know it's bad.

Z3lda likes this.
  4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Damn. Worked with him in Detroit.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

You could bring in someone from Indy or Chicago on game days, but the day-to-day stuff, at least during football season, with a team that has a national following. But, hell, which cutbacks have made sense to those of us on this board.

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

We must be getting close to the end (of print) if AP is cutting as many as 25 people. I'm assuming those are all reporters and editors? Which major chain is going to be the first to cut to two papers a week, Sunday and Wednesday? Do you agree it's coming soon?

7. August West

August West Member

some one-person correspondencies, some photo library, mailroom, much of washington radio, "content curation" whatever that is, couple of photogs

8. Doc Holliday

On the national scale and with the larger metros, yes. For smaller places and the local rags, no.

9. Fredrick

Here's what's going to happen. The major metros are going to print on Wednesday and Sunday and it will be a major pain in the ass for anybody who works there because for some insane reason, editors will try to keep their jobs by making those 2 newspapers, must reads. Meanwhile, the Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday websites will be stock full of breaking news and videos and podcasts and chats and all sorts of things keeping everybody ultra busy. So reporters will be churning out "important" 70 to 200 inch stories for the Sunday and Wednesday papers while churning out clickbait after clickbait pieces all week as well. It's not going to get any easier for reporters and copy editors until the print edition is killed completely and we go to all clickbait type stories in a Web only environment.
    Then what will happen is the small dailies who stay with print will prove print lives and the major metros will all be sold to rich businessmen/women like the person who owns the Las Vegas newspaper and print will rebound.
    Do you agree with my assertions?? If you disagree you probably feel the internet only model will thrive financially.

10. Doc Holliday

I don't ever see print rebounding again. Not now, not in 20 years, not ever. Never.

11. Fredrick

It's the only model that makes any significant dollars. The reason the print product is close to death is because almost all companies have turned their newspapers into tiny, un-needed rags. Have you picked up a big city metro? If it is owned by a major chain, the product is NOT worth 50 cents, much less what companies are charging.

12. Doc Holliday

Can't say I've read a Big City metro lately. But I think I will pick one up just out of morbid curiosity the next time I'm in one.

Draft saved Draft deleted