1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Mussina: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Dec 8, 2016.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The fact is you spent a good chunk of the discussion with Ragu arguing against an imaginary post.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Except, of course, he was. For two decades.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He was excellent for two decades. Among the very best? No. Guys who're excellent for two decades but not at the tippy-top sometimes make the Hall and sometimes don't. It's not a knock on Mussina to say other players at his position were better.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is the short way of encapsulating how I start to look at it.

5. Michael_ Gee

Yes, and for every Suttonesque compiler, there are two guys who WERE among the very best, but not for very long. Garciaparra and Cesar Cedeno come to mind there. Early in their careers I was sure each would be up on the level of guys like Mays and Musial when they were done. Didn't happen.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Right. So what happens for me is, I inevitably have to decide 1) Just how dominant were they for that short period of time, and 2) Did they do it quite long enough to get past everything else. Just because of where I come from, that is say Don Mattingly -- who for me, falls JUST short, and I am a total homer about him. It's also how people could look at Sandy Koufax and it was a no doubter. Didn't matter that he hung it up early. He was ridiculously dominant. Or in the case of Don Drysdale, the question had to have been, was he so dominant, even for a short period of time that he crossed the threshold?

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Then the question also has to be, what is the lowest rank for a guy in an era to be considered a Hall of Famer? From 1990 to 2010, where does Mussina rank as a pitcher. If he's a top-five guy does that make him a Hall of Famer for you? Does he have to be top three? Is that the same for any position or just certain ones? Because it is very obvious in the same timeframe the only two catchers who will make the Hall are Piazza and Pudge.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There are 30 starting catchers and 150 starting pitchers.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Right but the problem with that is -- there can be a 20-year run at say second base where five guys are Hall of Famers. And then a 20-year run were maybe one is. Im asking is it just an arbitrary line based on the fact that well he was a top X of his era so he is in but since he wasn't top X he's not

10. Michael_ Gee

If we look at history, some positions have more liberal standards than others. If you are a catcher who hit for power, for example, you have a much better chance of being elected than a third baseman who hit for power. I think there are fewer third basemen in the Hall than any position, with second base next lowest. As for there being so many pitchers, they do make up over 40 percent of all rosters and have done so for decades. There are usually three catchers on the 25 man roster. That's 12 percent.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I don't know the answer, but what was Pettitte's record once Mussina joined the team. The Yankees were much better in the 90s. I bet they had a rgeat record in ames Clemens pitched for them too, and I don't think of him as a good post-season pitcher. They had a great post-season record as a team, period.

12. Michael_ Gee

Let's face it. The Yankees of that era had a rotation of quality starters who, Clemens excepted, ranged from strong marginal to weak marginal Hall candidates. But they also had Rivera. IMO and apologies to Whitey Ford, the greatest Yankee pitcher of any kind ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted