1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Right. Two Dems running in California. No senate race in Texas this cycle.

I've seen Dems/liberals also claim that Democrats got more votes for their House of Representatives candidates. This isn't true. Republican House candidates received more votes.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That just seems so obvious to me. You can't count CA if you're trying to say nationwide Senate vote totals prove the Democrats are more popular than the GOP.

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

That's what I don't get about these liberal expectations/predictions that he's going to fail quickly in his economic plans. He's not. The things he wants to do will look really good, really fast. And maybe good enough that he breezes to a second term. It'll be the Carrier deal, but on a massive scale. Short-term political gain, downsides that don't bite us in the ass until he's out of office.

I don't question that if he spends heavily on infrastructure and the military, cuts spending on education, research and social security benefits, massively cuts taxes on the rich and caters to business interests that things are going to look amazing in the short term.

With an all-Republican government, Congress will suddenly look efficient. It will have the appearance of a functioning government. People won't look at what's being passed. They'll just see a government getting things done.

The scariest thing about a Trump administration to me is that it will appear efficient and successful to start.

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. YankeeFan

LOL. Your post -- an angry response including a curse -- doesn't help refute my characterization of your fellow voters.

Reminds me of Muslims who threaten violence over cartoons depicting them of being violent.

The Ohio State attacker hated the "broad brush" too.

5. tapintoamerica

Margin in House races was > 3,000,000. Comparable to POTUS for Clinton. Anyone who claims Democrats had more House votes did not spend much time in research.

6. YankeeFan

Female Senate staffers, in particular, seem to be handling Hillary's loss well:

7. tapintoamerica

Every election is unique because of whether POTUS is on ballot or, as @YankeeFan has indicated, the three-layered Senate system, in which TX, one of the reddest states, had neither Senator up this time.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

As I recall, the primary in California sets the candidates for the election. There wasn't a Republican on the ballot in California because no Republican got enough votes in the primary to be on the ballot in the final election.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What would it take for the GOP to not shrug off the "Putin interfered in the election" angle?

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If had been to help Clinton.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I've seen this. People are talking!

RickStain likes this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

ExxonMobil CEO Tillerson to be nominated for Sec. of State. Bitter opponent of economic sanctions on Russia. The electoral college will be selecting a puppet government of the United States.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.