1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: John Glenn

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cranberry, Dec 8, 2016.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Wow.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It is to laugh now -- when Glenn's presidential hopes rose in the 1980s, one of the objections against him was that he would be unqualified -- a "celebrity president." This after he had been in the Senate a decade or more.

Ace likes this.
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Link?

4. Starman

Go look it up yourself.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Perhaps the bitterest day of my youth was the day they told me I had to start wearing glasses. I knew then my dream of being a pilot/astronaut was over.

6. YankeeFan

Did. Found nothing.

You're lying as usual.

And NASA stuff was the one area where you had credibility. Sad!

7. Starman

You researched every single quote from the 1980s discussing John Glenn's qualifications, or lack thereof, for the presidency in three minutes?

The topic of Glenn possibly running for president was a matter of public discussion off and on from about 1980 to 88 or so. I guarantee you during that time, some objections were raised on the basis that Glenn did not have sufficient "practical government experience."

Believe it or don't; I don't care.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

What's laughable is that any Democrat had any serious presidential hopes in the 1980s. Cannon fodder, every one.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

10. Starman

Glenn was first elected to the Senate in 1974 and even then there was talk he ultimately aspired to the presidency, so his "celebrity status" was part of that whole running discussion for years and years.

11. YankeeFan

Synopsis: Glenn is a celebrity which helps, but isn't a natural politician, and is going up against a better funded and organized candidate in Walter Mondale.

What's missing? That he's unqualified.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yet Glenn has a long way to go. He is still struggling to fashion a political persona and a cogent platform of ideas upon which to campaign. And for all his nine years in Washington, the Senator is still better known as an icon of the Space Age than as a compelling leader whose speeches and legislation shape public and Congressional opinion. In fact, many Democratic leaders insist that unless Glenn can lift himself to that higher plane occupied by such masterful campaigners as John F. Kennedy and Ronald Reagan, he will be unable to convert his celebrity into enough votes to win the nomination.

Draft saved Draft deleted