1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016-17 Hot Stove Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm pretty shocked the Nats decided to give up Giolito. Haven't they gotten better offers for him at some point over the past couple years?

I saw somebody point out that the Royals just traded off the last piece of what was then known as the James Shields-Wil Myers trade and got back a pretty close approximation of Myers locked up for four years. I feel a little better about the deal when it's framed like that, but sure would like to see KC add some pitching for this season.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Eaton is a nice player, but that seems like hell of a lot of talent to give up for a player decent 28-year-old outfielder. Hell, I'm not sure I'd have liked it for the Nationals if the price was just Giolito.

I'm just not sure I understand this for the Nationals. At least with McCutchen, there was the potential upside if he bounced back to his pre-2016 level. He is 30 years old and played closer to his career norms in August and September last season. I understand that this is a more attractive deal than what the Pirates wanted. They asked for Robles along with Giolito and McCutchen is more expensive and under contract for a shorter period of time than Eaton.

I just don't think Eaton is such a difference-maker that they had to have him at this price. Were the Nationals just desperate to do something?

Regarding McCutchen, maybe this means he remains a Pirate. The Rangers were supposedly in on him, but they signed Gomez. I heard of interest from the Giants, but do they have the prospects to pay the kind of price Pittsburgh has been asking?

I must confess part of my interest in this was fantasy baseball related. I have Turner in a keeper league and he is more valuable to me if he returns to shortstop, which he will do now that the Nationals have Eaton in center field. :)

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Nationals are scared as hell (with good reason) that Harper is gone after 2018 and are in win-now mode.

Plus, their owner is like 91 years old, so there's some urgency there.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The White Sox are acquiring all of these arms. Um ... they had arms. They traded one of them. They need bats. Otherwise, what's the point?

bigpern23 likes this.
  5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Giants might have the prospects if paired with Chris Heston, who they are supposedly shopping right now. The thing with the Giants is they might not be chasing an outfielder this offseason after all. The buzz around here is they are going to give Jarrett Parker and Mac Williamson a shot at taking over left field. I guess the thinking is they will acquire someone midseason if those two don't pan out.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I thought the White Sox did ok with the Sale trade, but I'm thrilled with this return. I agree with Dick though - the next pieces sold off need to return some significant hitting prospects. Four of the top five guys from these two deals are right handed pitchers.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Agree on this. Yet I do feel the Royals got the best out of Wade Davis and it's only downhill.

I wonder if they're quietly listening for deals on Hosmer. Would be a somber day for me when he goes but I would understand.

8. JakeandElwood

Expanding on this, seven of their top 10 prospects, according to mlb.com, are right handed pitchers. Six of the 10 were acquired in the last two days.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Can't have too much pitching. Although, my suspicion would be that for this deal, the Nationals included Giolito, and the White Sox were more than happy to race to the ole transaction computer to get the deal finalized. It seems like a deal that's a fantastic overpay for Eaton, and you worry about the fit later. (Also - Aren't the MLB.com lists of a team's Top 10 not really reflective of how many players might actually end up in the majors? Like, the Braves Top 10 is probably a bit more robust than the White Sox Top 10.)

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

11. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

My gut says it's a horrible trade.

But I'll say this: Rizzo has made a series of deals which, in retrospect, turned out to be grossly in the Nats' favor. Maybe he knows something I don't.

They're swapping Eaton for Espinosa in the lineup, which is an upgrade. But yeah ... meh.

12. JakeandElwood

Sure. For example, when the White Sox traded for Charlie Tillson at the deadline, I believe he was the Cards' No. 11 prospect. He became the Sox's No. 5. Now he's back to 11. It's been a great infusion of talent into the system, but it needs a little diversification.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted