1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Undefeated debuts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Songbird, May 17, 2016.

1. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

I thought this was an interesting podcast, hosted by Cari Champion, for anyone who might be interested in black women in the sports workplace. Guests are Jemele Hill and NBA union chief Michele Roberts.

Summit Sessions: Hill, Roberts - ESPN

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I finally gave The Undefeated a good look tonight. I'm hopeful, bookmarked it, but damn, there is an awful lot of navel-gazing. (And yes, they can give "dope" a hiatus now.)

Anyway, after an hour of reading the site, I needed to be amused. So I combed through 11 pages of old white guys barely containing their irritation over the fact that there's a ballgame not being played on their field. :)

3. Just the facts ma am

This article is remarkable for how bad it is on so many levels.

California’s first black doctor still going strong at 93 years old

It claims that the subject was the first black doctor to practice in California, was someone who graduated from medical school in 1952 which is absurd. I was born around then and there were plenty of black doctors then in Los Angeles. He maybe was the first black doctor in the relatively small town where he practiced.

The source seems to be a obscure clickbait web site.

The writer/editor on a black themed web site does not know enough about black history to know that black doctors have been around for much more than a century and were a staple in the black community prior to desegregation, just like black teachers, barbers and undertakers. The two southern black medical schools, Meharry and Howard were founded in the late 1800's.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

still going strong at 93? How many referrals does he get? Because, sorry, I'm not sending my friends or relatives to see a doctor who was born in the early 1920s.

I hope you sent the Undefeated a very strongly worded letter. By the way, the Undefeated seems to have no buzz. Not helped, I imagine, by it being buried on the ESPN home page. The scroll forever model is death to so many stories and sections.

EDIT: That entire story was all of 243 words.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Kelley Evans is a general editor at The Undefeated. She is a food passionista, helicopter mom and an unapologetic southerner who spends every night with the cast of The Young and the Restless by way of her couch.

This may be me being an old guy (get off my lawn!), but these overcooked bios don't impress me. At least not on a site that's trying to be taken seriously.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Yeah, that trend has gone haywire. Unless you're George Carlin and can bring the funny, I'm for staying away from the cutesy bios. Plus, food passionista is not a fucking term. Glutton is, however.

7. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

8. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Probably not a good sign when your first source in the story is a former SID.

9. Just the facts ma am

I complained to both the Undefeated and ESPN. After several weeks the story was corrected to reflect he was the first black doctor in San Mateo California, not California as I surmised. Whoever corrected the headline didn't spend enough time to get the grammar correct. Of course the error was not acknowledged.

One of California’s first black doctor still going strong at 93 years old

Also the headline now claims he was one of the first black doctors in California. There is no evidence this is true.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  10. Sports Barf

"Mark W. Wright is the director of special projects for The Undefeated. Born in England and raised in Jamaica, He sends referees running for the hills when they see the soccer dad (and Howard University alum) coming."

Oh great not only does he write lame stories about HBCU football that put you to sleep, he's one of those psycho soccer parents. How many papers you think has cost his kids scholarships?

11. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

"He"

12. Sports Barf

Wait so this guy is a God too? Wonder what The Undefeated is paying him. Is "eternal salvation" part of the benefits package at ESPN?

Alma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted