1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Heisman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Dec 5, 2016.

?

Who do you WANT to win?

Poll closed Dec 9, 2016.
  1. Jackson from Louisville

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. Mayfield from Oklahoma

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Peppers from Michigan

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Watson from Clemson

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  5. Dede from Oklahoma

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Peppers had a great all-around game against Colorado. And he ran for 74 yards and 2 TDs against Rutgers.

The rest of the year, he was pretty much a really good defensive player. He had one interception all year and one sack after week 3.

I thought Jonathan Allen had a better year than Peppers. He was as dominant if not more so (8.5 sacks, 13 TFLs), and had only 2 fewer touchdowns than Peppers, and he only played defense except for occasionally serving as a goal-line blocking back.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Watson
    Jackson
    Mayfield
    Peppers
    Westbrook

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Peppers is an ESPN hype machine special. Not the best defender (Jonathan Allen won the Nagurski) and not even the best linebacker (Reuben Foster won the Butkus, and in truth might be better than Allen).

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I dunno. To me, he's not just an ESPN hype machine. The guy should go in the top 10 in the draft, likely top 5. His athleticism is off the charts.

EDIT: I should have said, IF he comes out. ... and there has been an expectation that he will.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Has a team ever done less with two Heisman finalists than Oklahoma? No. 7? Fire the coach!

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The award is about the momentum of the hype machine and IMO no one had the late season breakout performance to unseat Jackson. I'm sure the tide will shift a little to Watson but I think not enough.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Watson's the only guy who could make the presentation remotely interesting. Had Fournette had the type of season he should have had, it would have been a lot more interesting.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I think that's right. The fact that he and McCaffrey were both hurt made it a weird year for the trophy.

9. jr/shotglass

Forgot McCaffrey. Yeah, that would have changed things hugely.

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Feels like another year where there is one who should win it and one who will win it. Last year it was McCaffrey and Henry. This year it is Watson and L. Jackson.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

If Peppers played at Purdue no one would care. He was basically Derrelle Revis when he was at Pitt.

12. jr/shotglass

Draft saved Draft deleted