1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Tiger Woods thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 13, 2014.

1. This wasn't a Open course. It's silly season golf. Relatively easy course. There were birdies to be had. Six DBs is bad. Real bad.
    The fact he wasn't using driver off the tee yesterday, missing several fairways, and put up two double bogies today?

The only real encouragement fro this weekend was his putting - yesterday, anyway, was solid. I didn't watch His round today. I saw he was 4-over on the day and moved on.

You hope rust. Hope.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

How did the rest of the field do?

3. Almost every other round today was under par.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Was there a Perkins near this course?

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the driver thing was odd. Same issues as the last few years, has trouble keeping it in the fairway. He was taking pretty good rips and striped quite a few over the four days. But got wild again.

Putting was solid. And his short game was much better than expected. It was very good, for the most part.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

7. Vombatus

One big reference that improved my game was Jack Nicklaus' illustrated golf guide (have to look up the exact title - circa 1981). Cartoon illustrations. Very well done artwork. Cut my score in half.

One big piece of advice from that book: if you mishit a driver vs. mishitting a 3 wood, the consequences are far more severe when you screw up a driver, and he explained the physics of why that mattered. I did just that - put away the driver and went 3 wood only.

I highly recommend that book. It was paperback and the pages were large - close to 8.5 x 11.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. Vombatus

Mine has a red cover and was paperback.

I had another great book called something like the illustrated rules of golf. It might have been a USGA product.

10. Vombatus

Jack Nicklaus' Lesson Tee

[​IMG]

Absolutely loved this. One of my sister's boyfriends gave it to me.

Told my sister to fuck him more often.

11. Vombatus

Looks like the same book. I wonder if it has been updated in (gack) 37 years...

Fuck, I'm old.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

So what's the answer in driver vs. 3-wood?

Draft saved Draft deleted