1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Joe McKnight

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Dec 1, 2016.

1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

That's self-directed. If you miss enough deadlines you lose a job, that's not about pressure.

I used to think my job was filled with pressure. Now it's the easiest, least stress-free part of my day.

YankeeFan likes this.
  2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yeah, all that self-directed pressure, and we make deadline by 20 minutes every night.
    Five minutes if it's "down to the wire." But it's tough to get the stopwatch out of your head.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Deadlines aren't pressure? Funny, but I always got a high from making one under a time constraint, so I guess that high was just in my head

jr/shotglass likes this.
  4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

It's all relative.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want somebody running my sports desk who doesn't feel a little pressure at crunch time.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

There's enough cushion in deadlines that you can blow one by a few minutes here and there.

I did it all the time, including when my paper was the first run off a press that staggered and printed five others after us.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

People are different. I fancy myself Joe Montana running a two-minute drill when it comes to cranking out a gamer on deadline, but really let stress get to me trying to potty train our first kid. I have a good friend who I'm sure would lose his shit in a lot of newsroom situations, but probably prevented a dozen bar fights in college because he has a natural knack for deescalating those kinds of situations.

QYFW likes this.
  8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

That's not what I said. I work with a sense of urgency from the time I pull into the parking garage. I am ALWAYS on deadline. However, there is no real pressure relative to other demands I face.

Also, running a sports desk is not that difficult.

9. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Comparing the pressure of working as a police officer and a sports desker really seems like an important issue.

I'm glad we had this talk.

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I said there was no comparison. These other diphits are the ones trying to argue the point.

11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

OK. But you were fishing for that reaction. Mission accomplished.

12. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I'm good like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted