1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I pulled my byline

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MTM, Dec 3, 2016.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

One of my articles showed up online today totally rewritten. An anecdotal premise I used to introduce a larger idea was turned into the main focus and much of the information I spent a few hours reporting and writing was eliminated.

I'm pretty sure the editor did it to turn a local article into one that could run in all of our zones. That is fine, but he could have told me and I would have written and reported it that way. I was clear on what my focus was in discussion and the budget line.

I went into our system and changed By MTM to Staff Report.

Did I do the right thing?

Should I message my editor and tell him what I did and why I did it?

He often rewrites stuff or moves paragraphs around to turn articles into what he imagines they should be and I just shrug my shoulders, even if I don't like the change. But is the first time an entire premise was washed away.

2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

You seem justified, but you better communicate that with your boss.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Blame it on Employee A.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I don't think it's the right move to go into the system and do that. I do think, however, that you have a reason to be annoyed and should communicate that to the editor who made the changes.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I do NOT say this to judge. I'm only relating my personal experience.

Early in my career, I told my slot man to withhold my byline on a story because it was cut to a ridiculous degree.

He did. He also, in conjunction with the SE, withheld all my bylines for the next 10 days.

They got the cannon. You got the peashooter.

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I don't think the article runs in print until early next week, so I can address it with my editor.

The byline got added back to the online article, so the web guy probably thought it got omitted by accident.

I'll let it go

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

My first impression is you have not been in this business long. My guess is five years or less. If you were experienced, you would not have reacted this way. Something you learn the longer you are in this business is that it's not about you. Most people don't read the byline, don't care who wrote it and probably don't know who you are. While journalism can be a very satisfying field, remember that it's not about you. It's about the news.

Next, as to what you should do, let it go. Put your byline back on your story and don't mention it to your boss. Yeah, I totally understand your ego is hurt. Get over it. Good editors do what is best for everyone involved. If that means a rewrite so that every edition for every zone can use the story, then that's good for everyone. You are a team player right? Your work isn't better than everyone's right?

Sure, you can fight the fight and they might even be willing to cut the byline and not say a word. But is this really worth it in the long run? Trust me and let it go. There's a lot bigger things to stress over than whether a story you crafted has your byline on it or a story that you didn't craft completely has it on it.

Personally, I tell my editors to rewrite, cut and to do whatever they want to my stories. I trust them. I know they'll make me look better in the end. For every one story they might mess up, there's 15-20 they've made better. I'll take those odds. When you've been in this business 25 years, you'll realize that the world keeps spinning whether your byline is on a story or not. Let it go and move on.

coverzero likes this.
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have only dealt with this once thankfully, and it was in relation to a magazine, not a newspaper.

In my case, it was a column format, not news. I had my byline removed because I didn't agree with what they had done with the piece. ... and the reason why they did it. And I didn't want my name put on what they changed it to. .. I didn't want it to represent me.

In your case, were you 1) just upset with how it went down as you described, or 2) is it that you read their edit and it was something you didn't want your name associated with. ... either because it was untrue or misleading or it was so poorly put together that you thought it made you look bad?

If it is the first, I am less sympathetic than if it is the second. You might have a legit gripe and be justified in being upset about the way they handled it -- from the discussion to the rewrite without talking to you. But when you pulled your byline -- without talking to them first -- you made it about you (and your ego), not the thing you have a gripe about. Now, even if you try to discuss your gripe (which might be legit), you have given them the opportunity to make it about you, rather than about the thing you were upset about. And that will often happen, because when people get defensive, they try to make it about the person putting them on the spot, instead of their actions. That's why, either way, I would have talked to them first, rather than handling it the way you did.

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Not even close, Doc. Been in the business more than 20 years. I don't mind being rewritten, when the story is improved. That's not the case here.

It is not about me. I know no when cares who writes what. It's what Ragu wrote above, "2) is it that you read their edit and it was something you didn't want your name associated with. ... either because it was untrue or misleading or it was so poorly put together that you thought it made you look bad?"

The premise seems forced. I don't want my name associated because it's not what my reporting found the story to be.

If that's what they wanted, fine, tell me, and I would have reported it that way. This way seems so contrived.

10. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

I pulled my finger.

11. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

What is pulling your byline supposed to prove these days?

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage.

That song comes to mind a lot these days, and not just in a newsroom.

jr/shotglass likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted