1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"We're losers. We got beat. There is no trophy for us."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Dec 3, 2016.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Or an Olympic medalist.

Smallpotatoes and SnarkShark like this.
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

LOL. That's the #1 most ridiculous comment that always comes from the "Everybody gets a trophy!" crowd.

Yes. Because I know that if I'm ever 90 seconds late to work I'm out there running laps as punishment. Or if I forget a medical acronym, the boss does everything she can to publicly embarrass me. THAT'S REAL LIFE!!!!!

Most of the coaches who employ these tactics at the youth level are actually quite bad at life.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

oop, you've been very balanced and thoughtful on this topic. :)

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I know you're in blue font territory here ... but the thought of the (chronically late) copy desk at my shop having to run laps in our tremendously out-of-shape condition made me laugh.

If only our youth sports coaches had been cut from the Vince Lombardi mold ... ;)

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Or you get your participation trophy smashed and get choked out by your sensei.

swingline and Smallpotatoes like this.
  6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

7. jr/shotglass

ROFL. Really.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't really have a strong opinion on this one. I just thought the coach had an interesting, if self-serving, point and it was worth a discussion.

9. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

The discussion reminds me that my high school, a consistent loser in boys basketball from the early '80s until about five years ago, once played in one of those 16-team holiday tournaments that guaranteed each team four games. The way it was set up, two winless teams remained at the end, and they'd play each other in the final round. My alma mater was one of those winless teams and lost to the other winless team by about 30 points in the "15th-place" game. But every team got a trophy. Our coach wasn't enamored with the idea of a "16th-place" trophy and, according to several witnesses, threw it in the trash before boarding the bus home after the game. The host school wasn't pleased, and neither was my high school's administration (which fired the coach at the end of the season).

10. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

How many Internet tough parents follow through when it comes to to their own children?

11. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

In Russia, school graduates you.

12. jr/shotglass

Yo ...

And ask me again when you've watched yours leave in a police car.

Draft saved Draft deleted