1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To play or not to play?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Another question would be: Is it the first child, or a subsequent child? After the first, the experience is not nearly as cool.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

There is not a single thing in the universe more important to me than my children and my wife. It would be pretty insulting for my employer, or my "fans," to suggest the right thing to do is alter those priorities.

SnarkShark likes this.
  3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

You certainly have to right to be insulted by such a suggestion, although I don't see the point in adopting such sentiment.
    No one is suggesting that failing to be present at the birth means that your family is not important or not the most important thing in your life.
    However, if you are an attorney with a case going before the SCOTUS then the elementary school schedules Junior's holiday pageant for the same date: You're probably going to be in DC and miss Junior in the holiday pageant.
    That doesn't mean Junior and his mother are not the most important people or aspect of your life.

4. MisterCreosote

It does if you define "most important" as "nothing else ever comes first."

cranberry likes this.
  5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Would you quit your job to take care of your kids?

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That line of thinking seems insane to me.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Ultimately, these are extremely personal decisions. I would never presume to know what is best for another person or cast judgement on his choice.

8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Then you've come to the wrong website.

9. MisterCreosote

That makes sense, because I suffered through a pretty insane experience to get to this line of thinking.

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

But it's false. Even for the best patents.

11. MisterCreosote

How can a subjective and personal life choice be "false?"

And I never said it makes me "the best."

It simply is what it is.

12. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

No one ALWAYS puts their family first.

Some people are addicted to sacrifice -- people for whom the self-abnegation inherent in being a parent/spouse provides a perverse pleasure. Even those people will occasionally put themselves and their interests first.

Unless they die young of a heart attack or stroke.

Draft saved Draft deleted