1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football coach throws a tantrum

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by rpmmutant, Nov 5, 2016.

1. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

We covered five of the team's 10 games so far. Playoff pairings come out Sunday. We will get them all in the paper for Monday.

2. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

I almost decided to do that this weekend. Not necessarily about the complaint, but a "just because we didn't give you full coverage doesn't mean we don't think the accomplishment is important" type of column. But then I came to my senses and decided it's not worth it.

3. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

Did the coach refuse to give your reporter an interview or did he prevent the reporter from talking to his players? Did he withhold stats or a spot in the press box? Has this happened on more than one occasion?

If the answer to these questions is no, I would honestly move on and do nothing. How many of us have gotten the "You only cover us when we lose" complaint? Yes, the coach was unprofessional. He, however, was clearly angry at your newspaper before the game (he may not have actually even cared. He may have just been tired of taking phone calls and e-mails from administrators and parents who did). Then, your reporter wanted to get something from him after he lost the league championship and a rivalry game. I'm sure he was in a great mood at that moment. As Chris Rock said in his OJ joke, "I'm not saying he should have killed her, but I understand."

Don't write a column about it, don't withhold future coverage from the team and don't go to the athletic director. I'm not assuming those were your plans. But for anyone who may have suggested or thought that, I don't know how that would help a working relationship with the coach. I wouldn't even call the coach. As someone who constantly has parents fighting his players' battles, I'm sure he'll be incredibly receptive of you doing your reporter's dirty work (assuming that your reporter is telling the whole story). If your reporter wants to check in on the coach on Monday, cool. If not, just move on and continue covering the team as you would have before this incident. The football season is almost over, anyways.

4. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

You're the sports editor. You're responsible for you reporters.

The AD is responsible for his coaches.

Do the management thing with his management, and even bring the school principal in the loop.

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Talk to the AD. Ask for an apology to be given personally to your reporter. If that doesn't work, talk to the school superintendent. Explain everything, then ask for an apology. If that doesn't work, let it go and keep doing your job unless his conduct was fire-worthy. Still, let your managing editor and publisher know the situation. Ultimately, they will make the call on what should be done next, if anything at all.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted