1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Election Day Poll No. Whatever

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 4, 2016.

?

Who is going to win?

Poll closed Nov 9, 2016.
  1. Clinton

75 vote(s)
    87.2%
  2. Trump

11 vote(s)
    12.8%
  1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This country has been through terrorist attacks, bank runs, racial riots, all kinds of political scandals, election controversies, etc. We are facing having to deal with a number of problems in the years ahead, but all of them have been in the making for a very long time and have nothing to do with this election in particular. The election will come and go, and in the grand scheme of things, any shitstorm related to it will likely register as a blip in the history books.

doctorquant likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If Clinton wins, I agree with Ragu. People get overexcited as elections near. Hell, I sure do. But if Trump wins, consequences are unpredictable. A sizable subset of his supporters are looking for actions to restore white male social dominance, something that'd be impossible to accomplish through constitutional means. If they become disappointed, they're liable to lash out. Tell you one thing. Every battered woman/domestic violence crisis center will be on full scale red alert Tuesday night. Win or lose, some louts are gonna take out their emotions on their women partners.

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I think Clinton is going to win, but it's going to be awfully close, because she has, in fact, run one of the worst campaigns in my memory, which goes back to the 60s. And because there are lot more pissed-off people in flyover land than anyone on either coast realizes, and a lot of those are what I call silent Trump voters. That is, reasonably intelligent people who would never publicly admit to voting for Trump, but who will give him their support on Tuesday.

As for me, I am voting for Gary Johnson. I made that decision months ago, and nothing that has happened since has persuaded me to change. I have the luxury of living in a state where a third-party vote isn't going to change the outcome of the election. Mississippi's electoral votes are going to go to Trump by a margin of about 3-1, maybe more. My two sons are also voting Johnson, my daughter for Clinton, my wife for Trump; my brother in Texas is also voting Libertarian, my sister in Louisiana is backing Hillary and I'm not sure who my other sister, also in Texas, is voting for. She's a weird combination of conservative and environmentalist. I don't think my folks, who are in their mid-80s, have ever voted for a Democrat and they certainly won't start now.

Talk from all of that what you will.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Trump is going to win. He's going to flip a state that we don't expect him to flip, and he's going to win. He's fucking Mr. Brexit. I'm already prepared for it. I'm not moving to Quebec.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A scattered response, and I'll bet your family was much more unified in its votes in the prior four elections. That's why this one is so hard to call.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

We all know what happened to the Buffalo Trumps in the Super Bowl that year. I guess that means America is fucked, unless Don Beebe can save us.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Eh. You see one Reich, you've seen em all.

Ace, Killick, FileNotFound and 8 others like this.
  8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Well played! Might see the Fourth Reich next week.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You win.

10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Nervous, but I think Clinton wins. Numbers right now are very similar to 2012. Dems had superior ground game. And Trump's ground game is nonexistent.

I think Clinton ends up winning Florida, based on early voting. And that's ballgame.

If things start to break Clinton's way all over (a BIG if), my upset special is Georgia.

Demographics have shifted. And last Dem to win there? Bill Clinton.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

My upset special is Arizona. I don't think she can quite get there. Romney won it by 9 and that is probably too much ground to make up. But the reports and numbers on new Hispanic voters out there are insane.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Voted third party. Clinton wins it and then it's -- now what? It's over by midnight EDT.

But this shitstorm has been so unpredictable, why not have 269-269 for another month of hell? Won't happen. She'll surpass 300 EVs.

Still, nothing would surprise me, including what I said about a week to 10 days ago: R's genuinely don't want Trump. At all. But don't want Hillary even more. And in the final weekend, he does better than he polls, the R's cave and he somehow pulls it out.

Then it's really -- now what?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted