1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bloomington, Ind., superintendent bans Confederate flag

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I could have used a trigger warning ...

doctorquant likes this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

3. Dick Whitman

I would like to see the counter-factual thread here in which the rainbow flag got banned instead, on the same grounds.

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Let them wear the flag for a cape, free speech and all that. If somebody is offended enough to kick their ass over it, suspend the flag wearer for inciting the fight

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You are wishing for an imaginary post.

TyWebb and LongTimeListener like this.
  6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Now do the Rainbow Flag.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

So a school in the UK should do what to a student wearing an American flag? :)

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Shocking that you would use this to take a shot at Clinton and repeated shots at Muslims. ;)

And it is quite transparent that you keep bringing up the idea of Muslims possibly having an issue with a rainbow t-shirt as if they are the only ones who might show some level of bigotry. Hell, even Starman saw through it.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I know you want to look at a high school as every bit the same as the town square where anything should go, but they're completely different.

A school can teach what's tolerance and what's intolerance.

10. Dick Whitman

Sure. But there are bounds to how it can go about that. Students theoretically have free speech rights at school, which are evaluated under the same general framework that free speech rights are evaluated under generally.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That isn't true.

As has been noted previously, and I know you're aware of, school administrators have wide freedoms to ban expression that other government officials can't ban.

It appears you're responding to imaginary case law.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

This is about as far as "theoretically" went at my school, as I remember it.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted