1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 8 thread: Ready for prime time?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Now that Los Angeles is finally taken and it looks like Vegas will land the Raiders, the NFL needs a new great white whale to use as a fulcrum to crowbar more public tax money from governments. Does St. Louis suffice? San Antonio?

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Toronto. London. San Diego if the Chargers leave.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't think there are any major stadium issues left except I guess Jacksonville, so there's really no need.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Another game played in London?......not even cool anymore. Shine off the turd.
    Remember when it was cool to play on Thursday night?........Last night proved otherwise.
    Looking forward to GB @ ATL and PHI @ DAL. That's it. That's all.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If you had Week 8 in the Jax-is-a-major-league-city threadjack pool, you win!

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Why doesn't Portland Or have a team? 22nd largest media market, 26 largest city. Similar size to Pittsburg and Baltimore. Bigger than KC, Cincinnati

7. dixiehack

No stadium, no desire to build one and the Seahawks don't want to lose a plum secondary market

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Marvin Lewis is an ineffectual head coach

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Outside of Nike, I don't think Portland has a Fortune 500 structure to handle it. Also no viable stadium.

It's a perfect NBA market, like Salt Lake, San Antonio, Sacramento and Memphis (which I did not think would work but it has).

The Portland demographics strike me like Minneapolis. White, highly-educated and liberal. MSP though has Target, 3M, General Mills and double the TV households.

10. dixiehack

If it weren't for the Longhorns, I think you'd see Austin overtake San Antonio as the choice for a third Texas market, and it might be the better pick anyway. Slightly smaller (2 million people vs. 2.3) but probably more disposable income to support a team, and San Antonio is close enough you could capture a share of that market anyway.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

As long as there are billionaire owners who want to extort new stadiums out of taxpayers with the threat of bolting somewhere else, there's always a need.

Plus the effective life spans of venues are constantly being driven down; now stadiums 15 years old are being described as hopelessly outdated. So the whole generation of 1995-2005 stadiums will be on the replacement list soon if they aren't already.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I can't be the only one rooting for the tie, can I?

Draft saved Draft deleted