1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Postseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Oct 3, 2016.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

That's ridiculously awesome.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. That poor reporter.

So, did he pitch the story to the station, or did they stumble onto it?

And, they towed the car here!

Somebody in town has a similar car. Drive past it all the time on Van Buren, in the West Loop.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I assume he pitched it somehow. He's a total nut.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The younger brother of a high school classmate of mine is a professional Elwood Blues impersonator in Branson, Missouri. He's got the same ride.

5. Dick Whitman

My uncle in the news clip is a classic first adopter. I remember as a kid he was the first person I knew with a VCR. We all went to his house and "oohed and aahed." He had "The Blues Brothers" and "Star Wars," if I recall. Probably paid like $90 apiece for them.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Dick's uncle as a teenager:

[​IMG]

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It's just good investigative journalism ...

[​IMG]

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

But, still, fuck the Cubs.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Was it a top-load model that weighed like 50 pounds? My girlfriend in college had one of those. It was a hand-me-down from her parents.

This one:

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

My grandfather bought one of those in the late 1970s ... from Sears, I think. He was the stereotypical read-the-instructions-later kind of guy. Had a blank tape, popped out the "protect" tab without knowing what it was, then tried to record something. When the record lever wouldn't work (prevented by the mechanical prevent) he simply pushed harder ... and harder ... ultimately wrecking the damn thing. He played dumb at Sears and they gave him another one.

dixiehack and YankeeFan like this.
  11. Dick Whitman

That's what it looked like, yes.

He said he would now be able to tell as soon as he walked in the door whether he had been robbed during the day or not, because the first thing they would have taken was his VCR.

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. Dick Whitman

It's funny that he's a Cubs die-hard and my dad's a White Sox die-hard. Their dad - my grandfather - was a Cardinals die-hard, coming from the South, so they didn't have it passed down to them. My dad grew up in the '50s, and got hooked by the 1959 White Sox. My uncle grew up in the '60s, and got hooked by the 1969 Cubs. He credits my dad with passing along his general love of the game, though.

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted