1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NFL's ratings crisis

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Oct 17, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I have never met a Jaguars fan. I am not convinced one exists.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Law of diminishing returns. Spending 5 minutes watching 23 replays trying to figure out whose fingertip the basketball grazed before it went out of bounds --- which will determine exactly one out of 150 possessions in this game --- is just not worth it.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

When trying to think of the least appealing Thursday night game in history, my mind flashed back to Rams-Eagles 1998 (a Tony Banks/Koy Detmer Production) and there it was on that 538 article.

I'll buy some of the RedZone argument. First saw RZ in 2010 on the free trial Sunday on Week 1. You couldn't just go back to watching regular NFL.

Not only does it carry out of market games but it makes it where you really only have to watch the 3:30 ET/2:30 CT window for an hour. Get your nine games, all of the Alcoa Fantastic Finishes, and then continue your day. Just one hour.

I've never sprung to pay for RZ for, since that day, I've never looked at the NFL the same way. This is probably the first year that, really, I don't care that much about the regular season. If you have a good coach and a good QB, you'll make the playoffs

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I actually know a Jaguars fan. I do not know an Atlanta Falcons fan.

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I haven't looked at RZ numbers and correlation to regular broadcast numbers.
    I keep hearing 'it's an election year' as a reason, which is BS. There have been a lot of election years since the start of the NFL on TV.

I think there different forces at play.

1. The NFL was already huge yet managed to continue generating pretty substantial growth in audience. That is just not sustainable. There's going to be bounceback and there's going to be plateau. That should be expected. The Chicken Little coverage of the TV ratings doesn't account for it because the sky-is-falling coverage plays better than reasonable analysis. Plus a lot of the talking heads a just dunces.

2. The product stinks and the NFL, in its effort to grow its audience by turning non-fans into casual fans and casual fans into intense fans, has driven away or is driving away knowledgeable fans. There are people, like me, who have moved down the other way on the continuum - overall knowledgeable sports fans who have grown increasingly disenchanted with the NFL to point of not watching at all. This second point comprises a variety of factors that include terrible rules, replay and too many interruptions in the game.

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

My brother-in-law is a Falcons fan. Happiness is not his thing.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

We have a family friend who is a huge Jaguars fan, but she grew up in North Florida, so that's natural.

I know at least two Falcons fans. They exist.

8. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

I had Jags season tickets in 2011. Still never became a fan. Blame Gabbert?

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I know several Falcons fans, and one or two Jaguars fans.

However, I have never met a Titans fan.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

We should have a beer sometime.

Don't think I know any Chargers or Cardinals fans.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Who is cool in the NFL? Who is popular, has a personality and is a top player?
    Plenty of tools in the NFL who are gifted and talented, it aside from Rogers and Brady, who is cool?

Odell Beckham could have been, but he seems to be TO-lite. Richard Sherman, the renaissance man of the NFL? Seems forced and contrived by the media.

Cam could be the face of the NFL, if the NFL were a Montessori pre-school

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The NBA seems to be the one league right now that has marketable superstars. I suspect Kris Bryant may turn out to be one in MLB.

Draft saved Draft deleted