1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bloomington, Ind., superintendent bans Confederate flag

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 27, 2016.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I would honestly be okay with the prohibition of both. This is a big reason why a lot of public schools are going to uniforms. It eliminates the bullshit.

FileNotFound likes this.
  2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm pro uniform myself.

FileNotFound likes this.
  3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, I went to many different schools in my time - public, Catholic with uniform, military with uniform, private with uniform , private with no uniform (Quaker) and Catholic high school with dress code for boys (jacket and tie for boys but uniforms for girls).

As an adult, I am pro uniform. I did not feel the same as a child/teen.

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

While we are at it, let's let the students talk whenever they feel like it. The teacher is trying to tell the class something? Too bad. Test going on and those talking could be cheating and the students trying to take the test are being distracted? Again, we can't let that get in the way of free expression.

Is that a little ridiculous? Sure, but I'm engaging in a little foolishness to make a point. I've seen a post about a slippery slope when it comes to restricting free speech, but the slope is every bit as slippery if you tell school districts and administrators that they can't put a stop to disruptive acts of expression.

5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

I'd ban WWE shirts.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You're still traumatized by Hulk Hogan losing the title due to twin referees, aren't you?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Wonder if she brought Chaos and Uranus with her to the shindig...

8. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Nope. Sorry. Segregationists ruined that flag for you.

The Confederate Battle Flag was resurrected by lost-cause segregationists as a rallying banner. There's a reason it didn't appear, for instance, on the Georgia state flag until 1956.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

That's a nice job of imputing a position @Stoney never took.

10. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I felt like I was answering his broader point, which seemed to be, "is the Confederate flag really that bad"?

If I was mistaken, I apologize.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

SJ.com style is, "You are responding to an imaginary post."

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The question isn't whether the Confederate flag is "really that bad."

The question is whether a public school can issue a blanket ban of the Confederate flag, where it has not similarly banned other symbols. (In other words, this is distinguished from a school uniform situation.)

Draft saved Draft deleted