1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things that make you feel old

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Oct 12, 2016.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm three years older than my dad was when, knee-deep in a midlife crisis, he bought a Corvette.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I recently bought a red car for the first time -- all the ones before that were black, white or silver (read: gray). Does that count?

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that what we often think of as a 'mid-life' episode is really an old age episode.
    Average male life expectancy in US currently = 79.
    If we break our lives into thirds:
    Youth = 0-26
    Middle age = 26-53
    Old age = 53-79

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And now this old man is going to kill you for bringing that up.

HanSenSE, SpeedTchr and Batman like this.
  5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I don't think this is a logical way to break it down. Picking nits slightly, but 79 doesn't make sense as the upper bound of the third tritle (is that a word? It seems like it should be. Quartile, but for thirds.) Because even though 79 is the average life expectancy, your odds of living past 79 are fairly good. More people will die after the age of 79 than at or before it (eg. the median life expectancy is higher than the mean life expectancy).
    (Also, even if we stick with mean instead of median or mode - and I don't think we should - your average life expectancy given that you've survived childhood is higher than 79).

So if you're feeling old, take heart and bump all those ranges up a bit :D

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Amateurs.

I just bought a red convertible. (Though, in my defense, it does have enough back seat room for the two kids.)

I have a motorcycle in the garage, but quit riding. I've read too many stories lately about fatal wrecks involving bikes.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

All very good points, and I am using a mean, which skews low.
    If you take the median and mode, it moves higher. And if you take cohort estimates, it can be even higher.

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

On my next birthday in January, I will be smack dab in the middle of old age. But, you know, you're as young as you act, so pencil me in toward the middle of middle age.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Ages, like all things, have their pluses and minuses.
    I'm 46. There are many things I miss about youth, and there are many things I do not miss.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

According to the Buck scale, I'm a little more than halfway through middle age.

I often think back to high school, when all of my nitwit teachers would say, "You'll miss this time in your life, some day." Well, it's been 22 years and counting and I still don't miss any of it.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I fell Saturday. Wicked. Feel like I've been through a car wreck. And I imagine an actual car wreck would be a thousand times worse.

Draft saved Draft deleted