1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NFL's ratings crisis

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Oct 17, 2016.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Reading that MMQ article, I don't understand the referees and penalties complaint, such as "game so and so had 19 penalties". Do they expect the refs not to call penalties when there are penalties?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

A lot of them weren't penalties five or 10 years ago, and a lot of them (particularly roughing the QB) are very questionable.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The game has become unenjoyable and unwatchable, and the same is happening to college football.
    The main issues are the rules and replay. Problems with officiating are simply an offshoot of those two problems.
    Sports commentary and broadcasting has become more and more consumed with the officiating.
    It's not entertaining anymore.

When an additional broadcaster had to be added for the sole purpose of explaining the rules and critiquing the officiating, the game was already in trouble.

It's ridiculous.

I Should Coco likes this.
  4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The game has become unenjoyable and unwatchable, and the same is happening to college football.
    The main issues are the rules and replay. Problems with officiating are simply an offshoot of those two problems.
    Sports commentary and broadcasting has become more and more consumed with the officiating.
    It's not entertaining anymore.

When an additional broadcaster had to be added for the sole purpose of explaining the rules and critiquing the officiating, the game was already in trouble.

It's ridiculous.

Stoney likes this.
  5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Exactly. This whole "complete the play after the catch" concept is BS. Possession, two feet in-bounds, it's a catch. Period. If you drop it on the way down, it's a fumble, unless you're in the end zone, at which point it's a TD because you've already established possession in the EZ.

Why do receivers who establish possession in the EZ have to maintain control of the ball all the way to the ground and beyond, when some guy who dives into the EZ doesn't have to? The rule for a receiver scoring and a runner scoring should be identical. Either it's an immediate TD for both, or they both have to "complete the play" and maintain possession to the ground.

Even the announcers are finally calling the catch rule a load of BS.

I Should Coco and MTM like this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That will be the lead on NASCAR's obituary.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

The Red Zone channel is the perfect embodiment of our current culture. Next doctors will create a way to bypass sex so we can go straight for the orgasm.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Or newspapers'.

9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

The challenge, and it probably goes back to the Bert Emanuel Rule in, I think, the 1999 NFC Championship Game (Rams/Bucs) is that, though the ground cannot cause a fumble, it can cause an incompletion. Therefore, determining the border between when the play is still a 'forward pass in progress' and when it is a catching and running situation has proven to be thus far, impossible.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Hell, I had that one mastered as a teenager.

Big Circus and CD Boogie like this.
  11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Boy, you can say that again...

SpeedTchr likes this.
  12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Agreed. And I'd point out that "over-officiating" has also become a plague on basketball, especially the college game. Awhile back I was watching some classic games from decades ago and was so struck by how much better college games used to flow. Long stretches of continuous back and forth uninterrupted play with no whistles, no stoppages, no referee conferences, no monitor reviews. It was glorious. I'd forgotten college basketball games used to look like that.

I wish both sports better understood that fans want to see less officiating, not more. Stop looking for any excuse to blow your whistle or throw your flag. Stop "anticipating" fouls and penalties that you've not yet seen. And stop having so damn many conferences where we're all forced to watch you for minutes at a time as the game itself goes stale.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted