1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NFL's ratings crisis

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Oct 17, 2016.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Another issue raised by the MLB interleague folks that would matter in this debate is strength of schedule. If I'm the lucky bastard who now gets locked into a game with the Browns every year, that's not exactly fair. Also, I think there are probably even fewer pair-ups that matter here than in MLB. And with the rotation, you have a chance of lucking into something that is good because it's a Super Bowl rematch or a big free agent move or something.

Operating totally on 2016 alignments
    Giants-Jets
    Redskins-Ravens
    Eagles-Patriots
    Cowboys-Texans
    Seahawks-Broncos
    Cardinals-Chiefs?
    Rams-Chargers
    49ers-Raiders
    Bears-Colts
    Lions-Browns
    Packers-Steelers
    Vikings-Bengals
    Falcons-Jaguars
    Saints-Bills?
    Panthers-Titans
    Buccaneers-Dolphins

I mean, you're doing a pretty wholesale change for the sake of creating about 5-8 games, that won't get a number on the opposite coast anyway, and that's if both teams don't suck. (Like Buccaneers-Dolphins.) They cover these to sell 25,000 instead of 20,000 preseason tickets and that's fine, but I also think the NFL has, since Rozelle, marketed itself in a more national way (like their TV deals) and guaranteed regionalization doesn't benefit that many teams.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The schedule is not the problem. The rotation is fair and the best way to do things since you can't play everyone. The schedules can be more easily fixed in MLB, NBA and NHL with the outdated divisions and even conferences. Much, much more difficult to do with the NFL and the way it's set up is pretty good. Every team makes an appearance in each city at least once every eight years.

Unless your out-of-conference game gets switched out for a stupid London game. Like Redskins-Bengals this week.

So the once-every-eight-years game gets tossed out for a 9:30 a.m. game and the next time the Redskins are scheduled to come to Cincinnati will be in 2024 -- a 16-year gap from their previous appearance.

But it's all about the fans.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Relax. The Redskins will still be shitty and the protestors will still be angry about the nickname eight years from now.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I'd like to take this moment to note that Green Bay has never played in a London game, home or away. Best fans in football.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The Packers can't play in London purely because of fan logistics.

A plane with 250 Green Bay fans on it won't be able to get off the ground.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Or, even better, promos for The Simpsons in the Fox days.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I remember being in San Diego for Super Bowl XXXII. The Lewinsky story broke that week and of course got screaming front page headlines in every newspaper in America. Except one. The lead story in the Green Bay Press-Gazette that was delivered to the press room was "Fans' Charter Runs Out of Beer."

HanSenSE and dixiehack like this.
  8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Ah, the day of my career break.

Two Wisconsin sports anchors get into a fistfight on the sideline DURING THE SUPER BOWL. One is fired, one is retained. I replace the fired guy.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That's a much better story!

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Whoa. You gotta give us more dish on that!

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Draft saved Draft deleted