1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett buying The Dallas Morning News?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Editor

Editor New Member

The newsroom at the Ithaca Journal, after a couple of people were let go, now stands at two people.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Pretty wide swath cut through the handful of Gannett papers in southern Pennsylvania.

Lebanon loses a 40-year city editor. Five members of the York Daily Record sports staff. Hanover Sun sports staff cut from two to one. Chambersburg loses news reporter.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Sports editor in Visalia/Tulare is taking job in Salinas, but that seems to have been planned before all this. But I don't think Crash Davis could get an opening in Visalia if its available.

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Fair point.

5. HanSenSE

6. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

The business by now is being run completely by non newspaper people. Everybody is at risk of being cut. Let's face facts. Veteran reporters are the first to go. None of these non newspaper people want to pay them the salaries they were awarded during the glory years. Case closed. There's no value to these veterans, according to the non newspaper people who finally are totally in command. They can hire a 25 year old for 1/3 the salary. No brainer. It should be interesting to see how long the print edition is kept. Again, the non newspaper people now totally in command see no value. My guess is many papers MAY keep the Sunday/Wednesday editions, two editions a week.

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I'm a veteran and I've still got a job! I'm a valuable resource!!!

jr/shotglass and steveu like this.
  9. HanSenSE

Sunday/Weekender editions for the store inserts, Wednesday for what grocery ads that are still ROP or haven't gone direct mail. After that, may as well fill papers with the pet of the week, for all some care.

10. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

From The New Yorker, Oct. 24 issue:

[​IMG]
    Remind me again -- what do I usually promise you so you'll take on extra work?

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I am surprised that a newspaper in York, PA had five members on the sports staff. How many are left?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If I had to guess, I'd say another five remain.

Draft saved Draft deleted