1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett buying The Dallas Morning News?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Sep 25, 2016.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The article said 12 staffers got fired. How big was St. Cloud? That is a lot more than a two percent cut. Did other papers suffer as badly?

2. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

When they start ousting the top editors, you know they're running out of ways to cut. Battle Creek and Poughkeepsie both had their longtime editors canned. Stu Shinske in Poughkeepsie was as loyal a Gannett guy as I've ever known, and all that bought him was unemployment.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Apparently Sioux Falls is now down to 2 sports reporters.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Wait a sec. So the Newsroom of the Future concept also is a failure?

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

No, the newsroom of the future has always been a far-off bullpen staffed by inexpensive twenty-somethings.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not much different than the Local Information Centers of yore.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They still have humans in toll booths?

Doc Holliday likes this.
  8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

A few. For us Neanderthals who still use cash (and don't have exact change).

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Full disclosure: I interviewed in a design studio (Louisville) and my experience was completely different than those on here. The design center director put me up in a hotel in downtown Louisville... the interview was all day and included lunch. The director was so laid back it was almost like having informal conversations all day with him and with his assistant. Later that evening I went to a sports bar on the northeast end of Louisville's suburbs and who should walk in but him and his wife. I laughed when I came up because he saw me and I said "There are a thousand sports bars in Louisville and you came to this one?"

I thought I was going to get an offer, but I didn't. He did call my writing eye-catching and my sports knowledge vast, which I've used in cover letters to this day. As it turns out, our former sports editor in Saginaw now works at the studio, so he keeps an eye out for me.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

The control freak sounds like the guy that was pushing me hard to make the move in three days. His assistant was a guy I worked with at another paper. Think he's still there, though he dropped all contact after I turned them down. No big loss.

I've always thought the control freak waited too long to fill out his start-up staff, then had to make a bunch of hires by the end of the week. I didn't want any part of an operation led like that.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If so (not doubting Smal Town Guy, of course), that's a shocker. Always thought sports was one of that paper's strengths.

12. bevo

bevo Member

Well, that said, the studios are an order of magnitude better place to work than the individual Gannett papers.

Draft saved Draft deleted