1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sabotage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Liut, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Just making a reference to the following song. And for the record, fuck your coworker.

Batman and Liut like this.
  2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Sorry, man! LOL!

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Perhaps I'm missing something, but if they removed your byline, then the only ones who can look bad to anyone (especially on staff) are these two people, no? It's not like they left your name on it and had you quoting the Superintendent of Pubic Schools.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If I was in your shoes, I would take the proof to the editor/publisher/bossman and say,

"Hey, I just wanted to point this out to you, Boss.

My byline was on this A-1 story and the formatting was correct on this proof. Then I had a discussion with XXXX about the look of the front-page and in the morning my byline was gone and the formatting was wrong.

I don't know if XXXX didn't like my suggestions or there was some kind of error made by the desk, but I assumed you would want to know so you can make sure this doesn't happen again."

Liut likes this.
  5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

You gotta set it straight, this Watergate!

Liut likes this.
  6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

...and then go slash his tires.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

No, you're not missing anything. I've been around long enough to not care as much about bylines as I did when I was a pup and, yeah, I guess I should thank them for at least taking my name off if they were going to screw it up. Bottom line is I cannot trust these dingbats with anything moving forward.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Goes without saying ...

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

You need an office version of the Trunk Monkey.

Old Time Hockey likes this.
  10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I imagine the CMSs newspapers use are still awful and buggy enough that an "error" like that could've theoretically been caused by a half-dozen different things.

That's just enough to muddy the waters of "just cause."

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Even if your byline had stayed on, why would an unindented paragraph reflect badly on you and not the paginator?

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The un-indent is amateur crap, but removing the byline? That's sacred. Maybe that sounds vain, but I know I'd be incredibly pissed.

Draft saved Draft deleted