1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daily seeking sports Editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jon Alverson, Oct 3, 2016.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

The sports editor dreaming of this is really shooting for the stars.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Quite a change from when I was there.

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

A whole $30,000 for the editor's position? Jesus. That's terrible. Should be $40k minimum. Wonder if they'll pay overtime with the new law coming?

TigerVols likes this.
  4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Based on the experience so far here with dealing with the new OT law: Yes, but in a way that will skirt the intent of the law.

5. Doc Holliday

So just how exactly are they going to skirt the law?

6. apeman33

Say your salary is equivalent to $14 over 40 hours ($560 a week, $1,120 for two). They're going to calculate a new wage for you, say $10.50. So that makes your new overtime rate $15.75.
    If you work only 40 hours, you get $10.50X40=$420.
    If you work up to 45, you get (10.50X40)+($15.75X5)=$498.75. Apparently, 5 hours of OT is the max they'll compensate you for.

If at the end of 80 hours, whatever you get doesn't equal $1,120, you will be issued a "bonus" check at the end of the month to make up the difference. So if you get the max $997.50, the $122.50 difference will be paid to you at the end of the month along with the difference from the second 80 hours you work that month.

Your first check every month will be less than you got before, no matter how many hours you work. Then you get a bigger check at the end of the month ... probably with more taxes taken out. So, less take-home pay.

And the best part is, this is supposedly a solution to the "overtime problem" proposed on the Department of Labor's web site.

7. Doc Holliday

I don't know where you live, but in my state it's illegal to lower someone's hourly wage. They have to be fired or laid off and then agree to come back at the lower wage. If that happened to me, I think I'd get a good lawyer and the fight would be on.

8. apeman33

Kansas. Right to work state. It doesn't seem like we have any recourse here in Brownbackistan. So what I'm doing is compressing everything I do into 40 hours, no more, no less (They're going to base the rate on an average of what we report between the first week of October and the last week of November). Then when the law comes into effect, I'll have an average of 40 hours with no OT and they should be unable to change my rate. If some stuff doesn't get done anymore, oh well. At the very least, I expect my damage to my paychecks to be minimal and so the "bonus" should only be a few dollars.

Basically, I'm gaming the system as it used to be done before this law so that I don't lose any money (except now we have to punch a clock instead of filling out time sheets). But I'm never working more than 40 hours ever again. That 3 1/2 hours at a Saturday football game means that there's probably a volleyball match on Wednesday that gets only a roundup. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Riptide likes this.
  9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

But you'll cost those kids scholarships./blue font

Draft saved Draft deleted