1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football coaching carousel 2016

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 25, 2016.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Now official. OC Eric Kiesau, late of Alabama. to be interim coach. Search starts Monday, but donors will scream if it's not Tedford.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If David Gibbs isn't fired by sunlight Monday, then something is dramatically wrong.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There's one man for this job and he's an alum.

[​IMG]

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Supposedly, Jeff Tedford is the guy at Fresno.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Definitely the local favorite, hometown boy comes home, etc. I'm sure the AD wants someone in place by the end of this season. Does he leave the Huskies before their bowl? Some broken bridges to area schools will need to be rebuilt. De Reuyter either ignored the area, or staff tried to swoop in too late. The cupboard's so bare, Fresno is going to be a one to two-year rebuild, with body-bag games at Washington and Alabama next season.

Kiffin leave 'Bama for the Mountain West, just to be a head coach again? NOT seeing that. And I don't think Fresno can afford him.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

But it's not just any job, it's Fresno. FRESNO!

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. Steak Snabler

FresNO!

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I, in a completely unbiased way and objective way, endorse this post.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't think there's a Power 5 school desperate enough to take a chance on him. Well, at least not one he'd want to coach.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I could see Kiffin at Fresno. He makes 1.4 million at Alabama. DeRueyter was making 7,5 million over five years so Fresno could match his Alabama salary. Kiffin might decide being a HC is more fun than being a coordinator enduring Saban, For a MWC school Fresno seems have excellent local support and is closer to a lot of recruits than almost all the MWC schools. Kiffin would have access to California junior colleges to bring in talent for an attempt at a quick turnaround.

Jim McElwain went to Colorado State from Alabama, had two decent seasons, and bounced into the Florida job. It could work for Kiffin.

11. Steak Snabler

McElwain had never been a head coach before. Kiffin has, he's just been a spectacular failure (except for his one year at Tennessee, where he had decent success).

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If Kiffin went to Fresno, he'd have to work and be accountable, and he'd have to weigh the possibility of failure. He's not going. He'll stay and take credit for calling plays such as "now go left here behind these three 300-pound first-round picks."

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted