1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WNBA Finals fever - catch it

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Oct 14, 2016.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

SpeedTchr likes this.
  2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I'll back this up also. Girls/women's basketball has a pretty stellar following in the Upper Midwest. When the Gophers made the FF in 2004, it felt like a bandwagon runner's dream with the newfound interest from the latte-chugging, Land Rover yoga pants crowd. It was trendy for a year.

The Lynx do have a following and MSP has the demographics where it should.

I'm not a dismissive of women's basketball as I was a few years ago. A big chunk has been my daughter's basketball interest. She loves the local college team and is turning into a WNBA fan.

Through circumstances, I am tasked with being the head coach of her middle school feeder team.

Here's the odd part. I've coach boys and, now, girls.

The girls are incredibly coachable. Even our one true scorer doesn't mind passing when I ask. I only have to tell them ONCE to do something or fix something and it's done.

They may struggle more with layups (and, damn, it is a gender thing why women's teams take bad shots early in the shot clock when leading by 13 points late?), but overall, I love coaching that damn .500 team.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

4. poindexter

SpeedTchr and ChrisLong like this.
  5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Reading this thread and people one-upping each other to point out how little they care is like PFTCommenter's joke about how little time he spends thinking of Michael Sam.

FileNotFound likes this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's not like it's Cleveland and it's been decades since a team won a basketball title.

7. poindexter

Lighten up, Francis. Many of us think the product sucks, but its juxtaposed with, what I think is, coverage that outkicks their interest. Thus the snide remarks, not unlike every other thread here.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Didn't say there was anything wrong with it, Poin. Fire at will! Just try to be more creative is all. Seeing all the missed shots in this thread reminds me of watching a women's basketball game. ;)

poindexter and justgladtobehere like this.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

That's some fine hooping right there.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted