1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 7 NFL Thread: The Insuffra-Bowl!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 18, 2016.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Brock Osweiler is incredibly unlikeable.

He has accomplished the impossible. Osweiler's mannerisms make me actually like Peyton Manning.

Roscablo likes this.
  2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I don't remember the exact details, and I'm too busy to look it up, but didn't the Cardinals miss the playoffs one year when O'Donoghue missed a FG on the last play of the season?

IIRC, they had no timeouts left and rushed him on the field, too.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't really see how that's a fumble by Osweiler. Nobody touched him. The ball went forward. Wouldn't his arm have needed to begin a forward motion for the ball to travel forward, given that nobody touched or otherwise interfered with the ball or his throwing motion?

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

That's a fumble. Saw Brett Favre do it 100 times in Green Bay. If his arm starts forward and he's not gripping the ball, it's as good as out.

In other news, some Texans lineman tore BOTH patellar tendons. First time I've seen that without the assistance of the turf at the Vet.

5. bigpern23

How does the ball move forward unless the momentum from his arm has begun to propel it in that direction?

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

As I understand it a "shot put" throw would be a fumble, because even though he is propelling the ball forward, he does not have control of it. While trying to research the exact rule in question, an example I saw given was Kurt Warner at the end of Super Bowl XLIII.

That said, who cares?

bigpern23 likes this.
  7. bigpern23

No biggie, it obviously had no effect on the game. It's just odd. There's no rule about how how the forward pass is accomplished. A shovel pass, an underhanded throw, a regular pass are all the same - forward passes. The ball went forward and it was not interfered with by a defensive player in any way, thus it seems to be reasonable that it's a forward pass.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

More fun Cardinal tie stuff. Their last tie before Sunday night was when they were still in St. Louis in 1986, a 20-20 draw with the Eagles.

O'Donoghue was gone by then, but Cardinals kicker Eric Schubert was 1 for 4 on field goals in that game. The Eagles' Paul McFadden was 1 for 3.

If I'm remembering right, the game was played in a snowstorm.

exmediahack likes this.
  9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I think McFadden followed legendary barefoot kicker Tony Franklin in Philly.

Barefoot kickers ... that's way too hippie for the League's corporate image these days!

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 11h11 hours ago

This is awful. #Texans RT Derek Newton has torn both patella tendons, @MikeGarafolo & I report, and there is more damage. As bad as can be.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

As a kid, I used to kick a football around my yard and pretend I was a barefoot kicker. At least for a couple of kicks. Never understood why they liked kicking barefoot. It hurt.

12. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Back in the early 90's, Southern Miss had an offensive lineman tear up his knee so badly they had to amputate his lower leg. Hope this injury doesn't come to that.

Draft saved Draft deleted