1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 7 NFL Thread: The Insuffra-Bowl!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 18, 2016.

1. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

That Cardinals-Seahawks game last night was like watching a slow-developing wreck on the interstate. It's really ugly and you don't want to look, but you can't help it. It's so fascinating at how awful it is that you watch every bit of it. And there were a lot of games like that yesterday.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And since no one's said it yet, you can always score on defense or special teams.

bigpern23 likes this.
  5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I remember watching that MNF game, and I immediately was reminded of it after Hauschka's miss in OT. You mention O.J. taunting the kicker; I remember the next day watching the local LA sports report on KCBS where sports anchor Jim Hill, the ex-NFL player who wouldn't say a bad thing about anybody, just totally rip on O'Donoghue when showing the highlights.

As far as the talk about low-scoring games, the one I always remember is when the Buccaneers beat the Chiefs 3-0 in the last game of the 1979 regular season to clinch the NFC Central title. The surprising Bucs had started 9-3, on the cusp of winning the division, and then lost three straight, requiring them to win on the last day to win the Central.

Day of the game saw heavy rain in the Tampa area and the game was played in a quagmire. Tampa Bay got a 19-yard FG in the wet conditions and they made it hold up.

Now I get to go full circle: The Buccaneers kicker who made that 19-yard field goal was Neil O'Donoghue.

I Should Coco likes this.
  7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

A Niners fan pissed at the direction the organization is going, took out his/her frustration on Trent Baalke's Wikipedia page.

Screen Shot 2016-10-24 at 2.02.32 PM.png

jpetrie18, HanSenSE and sgreenwell like this.
  8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

That '79 game with Tampa is always famous with the shot of the rain doing down the stairs of the Old Sombrero.

Also of note. Tampa was in that spot because they had a furious comeback earlier in the year and... O'Donoghue missed the extra point which would have tied the game.

9. So Week 8 NFL thread: Neil O'Donoghue's Revenge?

If anyone needs me I'll be on YouTube looking up some of these games.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Arian Foster just retired.

"There comes a time in every athlete's career when their ambition and their body are no longer on the same page. I've reached that point."

That is a strong quote.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It was the last line that got me.

"I get to carry those memories with me. Hopefully. lol"

Songbird likes this.
  12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Are we sure that was an 11-year old and not Harbaugh?

Draft saved Draft deleted