1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'The Death Penalty, Nearing Its End'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Something I never thought I'd say:

Ragu and I are in lockstep agreement here.

His words might as well be my words.

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I really wouldn't have a problem if the DP was ended as a punishment in the US.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

What I hear you saying is that we can't have that level of certainty about any conviction, and that's not true. We don't live in a world in which everyone who's convicted is guilty. On the other hand, for at least some of those convicted, there is absolutely no doubt of their guilt.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You just put words in my mouth and responded to them.

Yes, there are times when 99.9 percent of us feel reasonably sure that a person is guilty. If someone gets caught in the act. Or there is a video. Etc. (For what it is worth, though, there can ALWAYS be doubt. ... even the most damning evidence COULD always have an alternative explanation. ... it's why the standard is REASONABLE doubt, not just doubt. It's also why even when you think there is absolutely no doubt about someone's guilty. ... they still are afforded due process).

Our system of justice affords everyone that due process. The minute you try to carve out rules for the people who are "obviously" guilty or for whom there is absolutely no doubt of their guilty, as you put it. ... you can rest assured that standard is going to be applied to everyone who is accused. If that is your standard. ... you really have no standard.

5. Dick Whitman

I don't think that's what he's saying at all there. He's saying that there's no way to set up a system of criminal justice wherein only people who are "obviously" guilty get the death penalty.

6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I would also be ok with building more SuperMax prisons for those who commit the most heinous crimes. Isolate them, and make them watch Starman videos and listen to Nickelback 24/7.

ADD: Or have Mel Tillis read War and Peace to them.

7. doctorquant

I'm not at all sure what you're getting at here. I'm certainly not arguing for twin tracks ... one that ends in life-without-parole for those who aren't "obviously" guilty and another that ends up on the lethal injection gurney for those who are. Nor am I in any way raising the specter of diminished due process for ... anyone. Nevertheless, the argument that there's always a particle of doubt ... sorry, I ain't buying.

Agree.

BTW ... when did this "obviously" pop up? Did I use it? I thought I was using "incontrovertibly" (as in my example of the convicted killer who murdered another inmate while his sentencing trial was ongoing).

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My posts never had anything to do with this "always a particle" of doubt thing you are raising. You raised that and then kind of argued against it.

But since you keep talking about incontrovertible evidence. ... actually there always can be some doubt about something that is disputed. I mean, there is an objective "he or she did it," or "he or she didn't do it" that forms actual reality. But the problem is there can always be an alternative explanation for something. ... as far-fetched as it seems to most of us. Even evidence that looks incontrovertible to Docquant (and or/99.99 percent of the rest of us) COULD have an alternative explanation. A look-a-like that fooled an eye witness. A doctored video or audio tape. An amazing frame up job, in which the people doing the framing were thorough beyond belief.

What worries me in particular about the line of thinking that leads to this "sometimes we just KNOW the guy is guilty" conversation. ... is that when people think that way, the presumption of innocence takes a beating. It's human nature for people to talk themselves into there being incontrovertible evidence. ... when the reality is that it isn't really incontrovertible.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  9. doctorquant

Check out my example earlier (maybe you have) ... I was murky on the details, but here's a link:

http://www.cncpunishment.com/forums...Freddie-Eugene-Owens-South-Carolina-Death-Row

I am absolutely fine with his being given multiple stays, opportunities for new sentencing trials, etc. If it's ultimately decided that he shouldn't die for his crime, I'm fine with that, too. He gets his due process just like everyone else.

But let's not pretend there's any doubt as to his guilt.

10. There are people on this earth who forfeit their right to life because of the crimes they commit.
    It's not vengeance. Not revenge. It's exterminating someone who can not be rehAbilitated and can not walk among his fellow man.
    Prison in addition to punishment is also for rehabilitation. What's the point of incarcerating someone for the whole of their life if they are incorrigible? It's assinine to allow heinous criminals to be clothed, housed, fed and medicated on the taxpapyer dole for the rest of their lives.

That said I don't think anyone ever envisioned a death sentence that last 20 years.
    Are there flaws? Yes.
    Can the system be improved? Yes.
    In cases where there is no doubt of guilt: DNA evidence, video evidence... They should install a fucking expresss lane.

And the idea that you can't be a Christian and support the death penalty? Seriously?

Love the bleeding hearts here... Spend sometime with cops, criminals, courts and prisons and prosecutors you might change your mind.
    I've seen all sorts of evil, vile mother fuckers who have certainly forfeited their right to earthly redemption. Let 'em plead to God.

And the argument the DP is disproportionality applied to minoriteis is fucking ridiculous.
    You want to argue it's disproportionality applied to innocent folks, ok.
    That argument its biased on minorities is failing to see the trees because of the forests. Was the person who was given the DP guilty? Period.
    That's all that matters. Not race. Not IQ. Not insanity. Did they do it?

Is it perfect? Probably not. But you'll never convince me to do away with it. Never.
    They same as me trying to convince you all to favor it.
    We're on opposite sides of the fence. I'm ok with that.
    but the righteousness of this thread could use a reality check.

cjericho and Iron_chet like this.
  11. Dick Whitman

You're acting 100 times more righteous than anyone else who has contributed to this thread.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

You must be a bloodthirsty ghoul.

Draft saved Draft deleted