1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett buying The Dallas Morning News?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

A former co-worker who went there as a designer a year or so ago is still on the staff list -- but as a digital producer. So it appears the design staff either was eliminated or cut to the bone.

The word also was out this summer that the Nashville studio was adding about a dozen designers and copy editors to deal with the workload from recently purchased papers.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yep, and it's the same stupid corporate email that spends four grafs talking about all the supposed great things that they're doing, then throws in, "oh, by the way, 350 of you, take a hike." Followed by the usual bullshit of "we'll continue to kick ass for our customers. YAY!"

Bronco77 and jr/shotglass like this.
  3. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

I swear that Bob Dickey has a save/get key for these emails because they are all exactly the same.

4. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Shannon Russell, a veteran sportswriter at the Cincinnati Enquirer, tweeted that she's been laid off. Also Phil Friend, a sports producer in Indianapolis.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  5. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Lot of good people lost today. Daniel Paulling from the C-L; Isles reporter Christian Arnold also among others. Stephen Myers from the Coloradoan too. Hard to keep up. To any people let go that are on this board, as the out of the business thread mentions, often times the grass is greener on the other side. Yeah, it stinks losing your job and feeling unsure where you're headed...but there is a life outside of this business and most of the time you'll never look back. So refuel your tanks and I am positive nearly everybody will bounce back on their feet better off. God Bless and hope everyone lands on their feet quickly.

6. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

• Longtime sports reporter John Glennon
    • Longtime sports editor Mike Jones; Both out of Middle Tenn. Gannett group.

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Kevin Oklobzija in Rochester.

Screw you, Gannett.

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I'm confused, so pardon my ignorance. Did Gannett actually buy the Dallas Morning News, too? I can't find that anything has been finalized.

9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Gannett also sliced The Journal News' long-time Rangers writer Rick Carpiniello (40 years at the paper) as well as Yankees beat writer Chad Jennings, who got the gig after covering the Triple-A team. All this b/c they further killed journalism in the tri-state area by buying The Record. Eat shit Gannett.

10. bevo

bevo Member

This is actually the second round this year. The first was done quietly a few months ago. Hear a lot of managers were let go this time. But if you're looking for a (relatively) safe place to work in Gannett, try one of the design studios. I know of at least one that was 100 percent spared.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

We may be thinking of the same one, but Bevo's correct. A friend works in one of the studios and he said no cuts there.

12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Who the fuck wants to work in a sweatshop design hub?????

Draft saved Draft deleted