1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Excerpt from "Gunslinger"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Except from Jeff Pearlman's new book on Favre.... Favre at the twilight of his GB career and entrance of Rodgers.

'Gunslinger': The Real Story Behind the Rodgers-Favre Feud

I'm reading it now. The excerpt, not the book.

This is fucking awesome! LOL.

I had never heard this before ...

Whatever happened to Charlie Frye?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  3. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

So Farve has a very public image of being a down-to-earth good-old-boy who likes to joke around. He's just "aw shucks" and all of that. He's an every man. Ask anyone. ... So Rodgers comes and decides to joke around a bit with him, likely having a pretty good idea of who he thinks Brett Favre is. But Rodgers is an asshole for calling him grandpa? This is such a weird story. Why wouldn't a new guy come in and think it would be easy to pal around with Favre. That's all he knew about his personality; it's all everyone knew.

4. I don't know if much I would joke around with the guy coming into to take my job, especially If I was unsure I wanted to go.
    "Good Morning, Grandpa," would be facepalm worthy.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Just added it to my library request list (Jeff will read that and say, "cheap bastard"). I've enjoyed his books even though most of the subjects wouldn't have gotten my attention otherwise.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

He opened a bed and breakfast with Kelly Holcomb.

That's being pretty presumptuous. I'm trying to imagine a guy coming into my department and saying that to me. If you don't know somebody personally, you don't say shit like that. There's no way you don't come off like an asshole.

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the chapter I read online. Apparently Craig Nall did not.

FWIW I will say I did see some factual errors in the stuff I read (maybe minor stuff, like Rob Demovsky wasn't with ESPN way back when).

8. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

What Demovsky the one on the Packers "beet" (per the book)?

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

SI also had a really good excerpt on his year with the Falcons.

10. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Not being a dick or anything but how do you not go over your book with a fine-tooth comb? Those are errors that no matter how good I wrote I'd be pissed off the next day even if someone didn't call to b****.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Were these just galleys? Advance copies? Or were these the ones that got sent to book stores?

Draft saved Draft deleted