1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 7 NFL Thread: The Insuffra-Bowl!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Surprising thing about that Cardinals/Giants tie in '83 was that the Cardinals' kicker, Neil O'Donoghue, not only didn't lose his job after that game, but kicked of the remainder of that season as well as another year and a half with the team.

He had a 59.3 percent success rate for his career, which by today's standards wouldn't even last nine minutes, much less nine seasons.

exmediahack likes this.
  2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

O'Donoghue was the cause of many tears as a child.

His misses in '84 kept the team out of the playoffs. Although he had three game winners but he had so many opportunities only because he missed field goals earlier in the games.

It wasn't until he blew three field goals with the '85 Cocaine Cardinals against Houston that they finally let him go. Still didn't fix the problem. Jess Atkinson. Novo Bojovic. John Lee.

O'Donogbue came to the Cardinals in quite the fashion in 1980. Hanifan is sick of Steve Little, brings in this other kicker during practice and has a competition. Cuts Little on the field. Hours later, he's drunk and gets into a car crash, paralyzing him from the neck down.

The 1983 game where he missed the three OT kicks (including a 19 yarder) I did not see. It was blacked out. I bought a DVD of the game a dozen years ago.

OJ Simpson was taunting O'Donoghue after blowing the 19-yarder.

3. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I dunno. I actually think they have it right. Nobody likes a tie, but I don't think it's that big of a deal.

There was nothing worse than completing two passes and kicking a game-winning field goal in OT. I hated that. If you want to slam the door, you have to get the touchdown.

I don't like the college system at all.

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Two teams not scoring a touchdown in five quarters is not the fault of any rule, unless there was a rule against crossing the goal line by means other than kicking the ball. Both teams should get a loss for that game.

dixiehack and bigpern23 like this.
  5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

This is silly. Both teams had the football and a chance to win the game in overtime before they reached that 6:42 mark. Saying "you only have half an overtime period ... to determine the winner" makes no sense.

Hell, the teams had 68 minutes and a combined 24 possessions to win the game before they had "basically one more possession for each team to determine the winner."

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I saw more uncalled pass interference and defensive holding by DBs yesterday than I have ever seen in my life.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

How often has that happened? Both teams kick the field goal and then it ends up a tie?

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I remember that 3-0 game because it came within seconds of being the first scoreless tie since something like 1943 (OK, it would have then gone into OT, but still...). And i was rooting hard for that to happen.

I also remember there being a punt that hit the ground and did not bounce. At all. It just stuck in the mud.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I think that post says how often that has happened.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That game was about as much fun as I've had watching non-Tebow-related football in the last 10 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted