1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 7 NFL Thread: The Insuffra-Bowl!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 18, 2016.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Spartan Squad likes this.
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

3. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

When's the last time an NFL game ended in a tie with no TDs and both teams missing chip shot FGs in overtime? Not to mention the same defensive player hurdling over the line on two FGs?

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Can't seem to find it with a quick search ... does anyone know when the last NFL game without a touchdown was? The Steelers beat the Dolphins 3-0 in 2007 in a monsoon at Heinz Field, and the Browns beat the Bills 6-3 in 2009. Are there any more recent ones?

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

This is the first time since the advent of OT that two teams tied after no one scored a TD. This was the lowest scoring tie at 12 beating the previous low of 14.
    There were so many ties prior to 1974 that I don't feel up to digging through all the scores. I have to believe there were times neither team scored a touchdown. As for both teams missing game winning field goals, Ravins/Eagles did it in 1997 but those weren't chip shots. The Cardinals in 1983 missed three OT field goals including one from 20 yards.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This is one of the reasons I hate the new overtime rules. By the time both teams made their field goals in OT, there was 6:42 left. Now you only have half an overtime period -- basically one more possession for each team -- to determine the winner.
    There were four ties in the 20 years before the new rules were implemented, and four in the past five seasons. Of the four ties under the new rules, three have come after each team kicked a field goal to extend the game.
    People hate ties, and yet the NFL has created a system that's bound to create more of them.
    Reason No. 3,468 why Roger Goodell is a moron.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I was scrolling thru just now until the "holy shit" "Jesus Christ" posts. I stopped immediately and squinted to make the TV fuzzy until I found the game.

The 1983 Giants-Cardinals 20-20 OT tie at Busch now has company for worst prime time NFL game.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

For both college and pro, I think they each have OT wrong.

Pros should go back to the old system. First score wins.

College should do pros. If not, place the ball at the 50. Not the 25.

9. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

"Both teams should have a chance with the ball in overtime!!!!" Well, here's what can happen.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Simple solution: You play until there's a winner. Remove the single OT period limitation. No more ties.

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Play for 15 minutes. Don't change how the game is played in overtime.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Never happen. Ties may be bad, but games bleeding over into assigned network broadcast windows would be far worse. The latter could cost the league money.

Draft saved Draft deleted