1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Translation: I've perfectly characterized your position, so your only recourse is a lame personal attack.

You defended action motivated by racism and/or political gain that could potentially keep people from voting. I am opposing such action. The rest is rhetoric that I handled just fine by seeing right through it.

Once again, you have embarrassed yourself in defense of party politics. I really am disappointed in you.

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Some quality knowledge from Franticscribe. Thank you.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Who are those people?

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

I'm sure leading civil rights leaders thank you for your Facebook likes and retweets.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

We may really be screwed:

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Guess somebody has to be on the low end of the odds scale. Given the way things have been framed the past week, I'm expecting Nate Silver to give Hillary a 107 percent chance by this Thursday.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Great. More reasons for the pundits to begin talking about 2020 on Nov. 9

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Stephen (Don't call me Steven) Hauschka and Chandler Catanzaro are nodding their heads.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The Buford T. Justices in the state legislatures thought the early voters sounded taller on the radio.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I'll tell you what's amazing. FDR is the only POTUS in history who even sought a third full term. All of his predecessors entered office with the theoretical opportunity to go past eight years, and none tried. (Some died in office, of course, but several -- I'm too tired to count -- simply declined.)

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Washington declined, setting the precedent.

Jefferson, Madison and Monroe all served two full terms, electing not to run for a third.

Andrew Jackson actually won the popular vote three times, 1824 (but lost electoral race to J.Q. Adams) and then he was elected in 1828 and 1836. Declining health led him to stand down in 1836 for his VP, Martin Van Buren.

U.S. Grant was elected in 1868 and 1872, and wanted to run a third time but his scandal plagued administration kept him from the nomination in 1876, plus his health was starting to slide.

Grover Cleveland was elected to two nonconsecutive terms, 1884 and 1892. He also won the popular vote in 1888 but lost in the electoral college to Benjamin Harrison. The Crisis of 1893, the Daddy of the Depression, made sure he wouldn't be running in 1896.

After succeeding to the Presidency in 1901 and being elected in 1904, Teddy Roosevelt stepped down for his protege Taft in 1908, and then, pissed off at his performance, ran for a third term on the Bull Moose ticket in 1912 but lost in a three way race.

There has been speculation Woodrow Wilson wanted to run in 1920 but he barely lived through his second term as it was and was severely debilitated by his 1919 stroke. Even under the much more genteel media world of 1920, no way in hell Edith Galt Wilson's backroom operation of the White House would have remained secret during an election campaign.

After the passage of the 22nd in 1951, Truman, although eligible, declined to run in 1952. Of the tw0-term elected presidents since then:

-- Eisenhower probably could have run and won in 1960 had he wanted to. The nation was hardly clamoring to be rid of him and his much less-popular VP, Nixon, just barely lost to JFK.

-- Nixon... ummm, it's pretty safe to say ... after a smashing landslide win in 1972, probably would have felt he could have won in '76. Certain legal difficulties made that rather far-fetched.

-- Reagan certainly would have won in 1988 had he been legally allowed to. And probably in 1992 as well ... probably as long as he could be physically wheeled to the Oval Office.

-- Clinton would more than likely have won a third term in 2000 if he could have run.

-- The country had had enough of George W. Bush. He'd have been steamrolled if he ran again in 2008.

-- Obama would be winning a third term now by a bigger margin than either of his first two. He'd be smoking Dumpf off the face of the earth if that was the matchup.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  12. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.