1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's how it works.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Bill Mitchell has had 100 dumber tweets this week alone.

If you read his feed as satire, it's quite amusing. When you realize it's not satire, it's kind of sad.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

This is my take:

Let's suppose a state fixed some window for early voting. Let's say the window that was settled on was 28 days. It is a certainty that our state's political class settled on that window for political reasons. That's what the political class does.

Now let's say that our state, having undergone a churn in the political class, shortens its early voting window to 27 days (choose whatever non-zero number you want). As before, it is a certainty that this shortening was for political reasons.

There can be no principled objection to this. Because no matter how accommodating a state was to begin with, it could have been more accommodating.

Thus, if you accept the argument that to narrow the window is to disenfranchise certain voters, then by choosing to limit the window in any way, shape or form the state disenfranchised certain voters!

Finally, and frankly more to the heart of the issue: I think it is disgustingly disrespectful to those who in years past risked life and limb to vote to categorize as "disenfranchisement" or "voter-suppression" the narrowing of early-voting windows or reduction of early-voting locations.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Hell, let's just start voting for 2020 and 2024 now. Give people plenty of time to get it done.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Translation: You are truly desperate to defend a disgusting position that you are once again venturing into tony and YF territory.

A move was made to keep people from voting, and it was done due to racism or for political gain, possibly both. And you are defending it.

6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I would.

7. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Everything is politics and politics is everything. Too bad we can't be as unbiased and intelligent as you.

8. doctorquant

Run along, OOP. There are things being talked about here -- ideas, principles, theories -- that you're just not equipped to handle.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No argument there.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Not a holiday in Canada but your boss is required to allow you 4 hours for voting (eg. if the polls close at 8PM your boss must let you leave by 4PM).

11. doctorquant

I remember as a college sophomore, having changed majors into the liberal arts, taking a generic course of two Western Civ classes. One of my professors went off on this cool tangent about civic religion in Rome (back in the day) and how (or if) there is a modern version the the U.S. His purported Big Four, as I recall, were Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day and Thanksgiving. Definitely an interesting take.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Not in that ballpark.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.