1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Postseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Duh. Now I get it.

2. Dick Whitman

For the record, if Alou catches that ball, the Cubs go to the World Series.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Now do Alex Gonzalez.

4. Dick Whitman

Same.

These are not contradictory assertions.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Apologies if this is a d_b, but Wrigley originally built for Chicago's Federal League team.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

As one of the 50 White Sox fans not in jail, I'm firmly aboard the Cleveland Indians bandwagon.

But don't worry, I'm too old to beat up first-base coaches anymore ... ;)

Chef2, RickStain and Jake_Taylor like this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

People who don't get it: Per my Facebook feed, there's a petition on change.org asking that Bob Uecker be allowed to do an inning of the World Series.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I'm rooting for the Indians myself, Coco. Cleveland's not the Mistake by the Lake anymore. Wrigley with video boards is. ;) And this coming from a guy who loves scoreboards and jumbotrons for the most part.

Something I don't think has been brought up much: You have to wonder what the TV ratings will be like for this World Series. I bet they will be some of the highest we've seen since the early 2000s.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Cubs? Indians? Combined 90 years without reaching the World Series and 150-something without winning one?

It'll be the highest-rated World Series ever.

Chef2 likes this.
  10. Dick Whitman

No way. It won't get a '70s or '80s rating.

YankeeFan likes this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Highest rated remains 1980 Series. Phillies-Royals. I think two dramatic LCS's had the most to do with that, I mean, besides the "quality" of what else was on in 1980.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Ratings are a completely different ballgame these days. Shows that are considered hits today would have been canceled after two episodes 25 or 30 years ago. In 1980 most people's choice was the World Series or whatever reruns were on the other two channels.

Draft saved Draft deleted