1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'What if the newspaper industry made a colossal mistake?'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 18, 2016.

1. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Maybe he had a long death notice. Maybe that's because he had a lot of survivors. I think ours may have been 2 inches, if that. Something longer easily could rack up the costs, and I'm sure they've skyrocketed in a couple years because it's one of the few ways rags make money anymore.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Neither did Creosote.

dixiehack likes this.
  4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Sorry, but his quote of $600 for the local rag is $3 a word. That's bullshit. Most local rags run the first 50-75 words for free.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Not anymore, and not in years. Not that I need to defend Mr. Creosote.

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Maybe that's an east coast thing. But not something you'll see in the south. First 50 words are almost always free.

7. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Station manager must have looooooved that story. See, everyone (but particularly advertisers)! Look at what horrible greedy bastards our competition is!

9. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

The jar is round, the cup is round....why don't they call it round-tine?

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

This is all that needs to be said. Period. Case Closed. No need to discuss the colossal mistake, which WAS a huge mistake that has cost all veteran reporters their jobs (if you are over 50 and still employed, your time is up soon; the decision-makers see no value in your past career; all they see is paying a kid 1/3 your salary), because like this person said, the DECISION HAS BEEN MADE to let print slowly die. It's all digital. Yes of course it's a mistake, but the old guard is long been laid off and the business people in charge have decided to do just what this person suggested. Please believe it.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

OK, I believe it!

So what?

I'm 55, have survived round after round of layoffs at 2 papers, and I'm not going anywhere until someone kicks me out (where I will enjoy a few months of severance pay for not lifting a finger). Our publishing center (currently doing 6 papers, will be double that by spring of 2017) is now entirely print-centric, and a couple of papers just recently purchased new presses. Are we getting ready to dump print? Maybe, but it doesn't seem that way from where I'm sitting.

You're right, no media bean counter cares about my past career. But no potential future employer cares about it, either.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Don't fall too much in love with that idea of severance. It runs out real quick.

But I like your enthusiasm. I had that five months ago. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted