1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I admit it. I ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ace, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Actually had this discussion with my wife the other night. Nowadays, watching the Rocky Horror Picture Show seems like it would be like listening to nails on a chalkboard for 90 minutes. But, when I was in college 20 years ago, it definitely seems like it could have been a fun night out to go see a midnight showing because of the audience participation and how loony tunes some people get over it.
    40-year-old me would just as soon punch myself in the balls for two hours, but I can see where it would be fun with the right crowd.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

At Hopkins, they didn't show it in the regular theater. Instead, they used the Glass Pavilion which could be easily mopped up. And they hung a huge white sheet up to be the screen, so people could throw stuff at it. It's been so long, I forgot what was thrown - maybe tomatoes.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

...have also never seen Full Metal Jacket.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Have seen Star Wars Episode I once, and have never seen II and III.
    And I really have no desire to see them.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Have never seen an episode of Star Trek or any of the movies.

Sea Bass likes this.
  6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Same.

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

... think Unbreakable is better than The Sixth Sense.

outofplace, Ace and Jake_Taylor like this.
  8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Wow. That really is amazing, especially given that Star Trek has been around for 50 years, that there are so many incarnations of it, and it is such a TV cultural phenomena. Or, did you mean you've only never seen any of the original Trek series?

Because that is actually a little bit campy, and not of great quality sometimes. Its strength is in its ideals and the character relations, and its best episodes were about those things. But that was obviously enough to sustain the short-lived series, at least long enough to lead to everything else. Some of the movies are quite good, all were highly anticipated, and you didn't necessarily have to be a Trek fan to enjoy them. And the quality of ensuing variations of the TV show actually got better and better, as well.

That made it unlike with Star Wars: Episode I. If you saw that, and had never previously seen episodes, IV, V or VI, I could see how you might never have bothered with episodes II and III.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

There are squirt guns involved as well.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I've never been a sci-fi guy. Saw the orginal three Star Wars movies and the first reboot, but none of the others.

I guess my geekdom surrounds too much sports and not space aliens.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Me three

Draft saved Draft deleted