1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Postseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Mazel tov, SJ Cubbies!

At the start of the season I picked 'em to win it all. Theo has done it again.

Cubs v. Indians ... is a LOL of the highest order. Cubs in 5.

At this point in North American sports, the only BIG thing left would be for the Clippers to get to (and win) the NBA title.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The desire to involve Bartman in various gimmick is flat-out weird to me. It was probably the worst 15-20 minutes in the history of the franchise. What cause is there to celebrate that? Buckner is different. He was a contributing member of the team. This poor guy sat in the wrong seat. Let him be.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I would see it as making amends - not celebrating him, but doing the right thing. Atonement.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. Songbird

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The 1908 Cubs didn't play at Wrigley.

exmediahack likes this.
  6. Songbird

But Wrigley has been around for a century so they'd be looming over it.

7. Dick Whitman

I don't think the ESPN headline is inaccurate. That's where the Cubs have played for more than a century.

8. Dick Whitman

Man, they have reached out and made that clear in every way possible. At this point, it's not about him, it'a some bizarre combination of spectacle-seeking and self-aggrandizement.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

God, the noise on that last double play. A roar when the ball was hit, slightly louder on the turn and then the crescendo of "Yeaaaaaaah!" when Rizzo caught the throw. I showed it to my boys this morning and they made me rewind it a dozen times.

10. Vombatus

If I were him, I'd decline for my own public safety until after the Cubs actually win a WS.

exmediahack likes this.
  11. Dick Whitman

He'd be fine.

12. Vombatus

It's Chicago. Multiple killings per day. So, if he shows up next week, and the Cubs lose that same game.... he's right back with the goat and all that shit. Wait until they win a WS. Maybe go to the parade in the Popemobile.

Draft saved Draft deleted