1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP SI's Sign of the Apocalypse?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Oct 19, 2016.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Twenty-three years ago, Jack McCallum came up with the idea when he took over Sports Illustrated's Scoreboard section. Back then he called it This Week's Sign That The Apocalypse Is Among Us. His first entry came in an issue dated almost 23 years ago to the day, October 18, and concerned a Swedish radio station which paid a player on the Roma soccer team to wear a jersey number that matched the station's call letters.

Nearly 1,200 signs later the Apocalypse has yet to arrive. In one sign, birders complained to CBS about geographically incorrect background chirping on golf telecasts in 2000, leading to CBS admitting to using taped bird sounds. Another sign came in 2013 when a school board rejected the nickname of Cougars for a new Utah high school because it might be objectionable to middle-aged women. Last January a Patriots fan brought us another sign when he tattooed Tom Brady's name on his lip so it would always be on the tip of his tongue.

In all 23 years, though, Cleveland has never been mentioned in SI's Sign of the Apocalypse. Since the Apocalypse has not yet arrived, we've clearly been waiting for Cleveland to crash the stage.

Now it has.

The Apocalypse is due Wednesday, October 26. We know this because next Tuesday night in downtown Cleveland, just 100 yards apart, Corey Kluber will throw the first pitch of the World Series in Progressive Field at the exact same moment the Cavaliers raise their 2015-2016 NBA championship banner. Back in June the Cavaliers ended Cleveland's long championship drought of 52 years. Now the Indians have a chance at ending Cleveland's short championship drought of 4½ months.

Two teams, two seasons, two championships back-to-back? Probably won't happen, what with the world ending the day after the 2016 World Series starts. But it could happen. In Cleveland. Starting next Tuesday night.

RIP, SI's Sign of the Apocalypse. You had a good run. But just like Cleveland's championship drought, your time has come to an end. Either that, or the world actually will finally end.

2. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I remember when it started, it felt gimmicky. I still think so.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Gimmicks can work. And if they're good, they last.

Batman likes this.
  6. Just like the Poin Files!!

Lugnuts, sgreenwell and HanSenSE like this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The problem is, a "sign of the Apocalypse" should, by definition, be kind of rare.

Making it a weekly staple just ensured it would be a weak staple.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It was a deliberate overstatement. The idea is that such absurdities are all too common, so common that the Apocalypse is coming every single week.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Kind of like Kenny McCormick getting killed.

cjericho likes this.
  10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

You bastards.

Ace and HanSenSE like this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A swimsuit issue with several models not even wearing "swimsuits", or painted swimsuits. And maybe it's just me, I actually kind of liked the token article or column they would throw in there to "legitimize" the enterprise. No, I'm not "that" guy - I actually preferred the way they did it back in the day when the photos actually showed off some of the local culture, people interacting with the models, not just some generic beach background.
    And maybe it's just me, but they seem to zap all the personality of the models with their photos now. They used to look like they were having fun.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It used to be an actual issue of SI, with stories about sports and everything. The swimsuit part was a feature in the magazine about whatever location they were shooting at that year, with the models illustrating it.

Draft saved Draft deleted